AU

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 1 of 4

X1 Carbon Fan Issue with Lenovo Thunderbolt Dock

2019-07-03, 23:04 PM

Hi all

Recently got a Lenovo X1 Carbon (gen 6) and today got a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock, part number 40AC0135AU .

I have two 1080p monitors plugged into the dock, however, when the laptop is plugged in via the single TB3 cable, the laptop's fans constantly spin-up loudly for about 10 seconds, then turn off. It repeats this constantly. I have run all Windows Updates (on 1903), Lenovo Vantage updates, and updated all firmware and drivers (that I know of), but it's still doing it.

Has anyone got any experience with this, as I can't focus on work with the fans constantly interrupting :S I don't want to send the laptop and dock back, but it's not suiting my requirements as is.

Appreciate any assistance!

Options

9 Posts

02-07-2019

US

30 Signins

256 Page Views

• Views: 256
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Carbon Fan Issue with Lenovo Thunderbolt Dock

2019-08-08, 18:54 PM

I have and continue to experience similar fan whriling issues. I fully agree, the fan is annoyingly loud and distracting.

I have been working on solving this for a few weeks, but I haven't fully nailed it, yet.

I have disabled Windows (10 Pro) automatic updates.

I have changed Windows Defender Virus scan (local on machine) to 1x per week only.

I use Lenovo PC support website for update checks and no longer use Lenovo Vantage as I found the online updater tool to be better and faster.

I DO see that Lenovo.Modern.ImController.PluginHost (32) uses my CPU too much and too often. I am now researching this item to determine next action steps; keep or kill it.

I am typing this reply and my fan is super quiet and cannot hear it at all.

Would love other's feedback/input on Lenovo.Modern.ImController.PluginHost (32).

We'll get through this. It IS a software/config issue, I firmly believe. This CX1 6th Gen is a great laptop.

Yesterday I did D/L and install a Lenovo Thermal update. I am hopful Lenovo is on track to kill this processor/fan issue. The D/L so far has reduced my fan annoying time :-) (so far).

Options

2 Posts

07-03-2019

AU

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-08-08, 22:16 PM

Hey there

It certainly is an issue. The only thing that I've found that works throughout my many hours of testing is the following:

-Complete fresh reinstall of Windows through a Windows Media USB (change BIOS boot order to USB and install); and

-Install Throttlestop and undervolt the CPU (I found that -100.6 was the sweet spot, as any higher and it would crash).

Don't get me wrong, sometimes the fan goes insane. Last night I did a quick virus scan via Malwarebytes, and the fan took off. Under general usage now, with Throttlestop on, the temps stay lower, and the fans quieter.

I hope the above helps! Even just try Throttlestop before a fresh windows install if you don't want to go down that route yet.

I agree that the X1C6 is an amazing laptop, in theory at least; there are just way too many imperfections. So close to being the perfect laptop.

Options

9 Posts

02-07-2019

US

30 Signins

256 Page Views

• Views: 256
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-08-09, 19:21 PM

I ran a series of restarts by turning all Sevices off (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-system-interrupts-high-cpu-usage/8b7e352b-6b94-4ad2-8e30-f8d456e113f5)

None of the Services drove any specific fan peaking. I added 5 Services back in at a time to track the restarts and ran multiple restarts till all services wer back up and running. This method was to isolate any potential bad Service (fan pegging).

I then ran updates for Brave and Chrome browsers.

The X1C 6th gen is running quiet again and I continue to monitor Task Manager Processes to see which Name is driving CPU and Memory.

System Interrups are not pegging CPU today and overall, system appears better than earlier this week.

The Lenovo.Modern.Im.Controller.PluginHost (32) still jumps up to 8.4% CPU usage. And so does Chrome (8% to 10%) CPU while the laptop is sitting idly as I type this reply.

Hopefully this helps you some.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save