Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nishu08
Paper Tape
Views: 10,837
Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon Gen 2 (Type 20A7) SSD Upgrade

Hi,

I have a 2nd gen X1 Carbon (Type 20A7) that I bought about 3 years ago. I bought it configured with a 256GB SSD, but I'm quickly running out of space and would like to upgrade the drive. I have a few questions about this:

1. I believe this generation of the X1 Carbon came with a max SSD size of 256GB, but does the system/motherboard, etc. support larger sizes? Is there a limit? I'm aiming for either 512 GB, or possibly 1 TB.

2. Will the size of a new drive I choose impact speed/performance in any way?

3. Lenovo doesn't seem to sell a 512 GB drive or larger drive for this system. Can I use a non-Lenovo one (i.e. bought from Newegg, Amazon, etc.)? I searched around on the Lenovo forums and it sounds like it's a stanard M.2 drive in the 2nd gen X1 Carbon, so should I be fine as long as I get an M.2 drive?

4. M.2 drives have a few different connector types: B, M, and B+M. Does anyone know which connector type I need to get for the 2nd gen X1 Carbon?

5. I'm planning on cloning my current drive onto the new larger one. What kind of adaptors, etc. would I need to do this? Also, I've never cloned a drive before so please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but are there any issues cloning a smaller drive to a larger drive (i.e. the system only recognizing 256GB on the new larger drive)?

6. Any other things I should keep in mind?

Thanks in advance!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,819
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 2 (Type 20A7) SSD Upgrade

Lenovo lists 512GB drives as available, but there is no motherboard limit.  On that model, you need one that is described as SATA-3 (not NVMe) and size 2280.  Drives have B + M Key.  Non Lenovo drives should work, but I always suggest checking the seller's return policy in case of problems.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
edwardlch
Paper Tape
Views: 10,679
Message 3 of 5

Is it means the subject type of m.2 SSD slot only support SATA 3, if PCI e type should be not support.

The current market For Samsung only support by the 850 EVO serial?

if the type is SATA 3, the storage up to 1 GT is possible to install in the subject type of computer, only the read / write speed is limited to SATA 3 mixinium standard,

Please help to to find out the right product.

Thanks

vegan-fanatic
Token Ring
Views: 10,677
Message 4 of 5

512GB is the biggest at present, the M.2 form factor does not have much room like a PCI Expess card does to pile on dozens of NAND chips

I own: T400 T500 X220 X230 all running Windows 10 Professional
edwardlch
Paper Tape
Views: 3,316
Message 5 of 5

I have upgrade to 1TB in year 2018. I used the mode SAMSUND 860 EVO SATA M.2 (MZ-N6E1TO)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors