Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sonntag
Paper Tape
Views: 7,298
Message 1 of 52

X1 Carbon Gen 3 Keyboard on X1 Carbon Gen 2

Hi

I own a X1 Carbon Gen 2 thinkpad and wonder if it is possible to replace the current keyboard with a X1 Carbon gen 3 keyboard (with proper mouse buttons), or if it will not fit?

I have tried to check the manuals and the connectors seems similar although some things, such as the fingerprint reader, seems different. I have no problem "loosing" the adaptive keyboard and fingerprint reader if I can have all the functionality of the keyboard and trackpoint on the new "keyboard" (i.e. the gen 3 frontpanel).

dougny
Paper Tape
Views: 7,182
Message 2 of 52

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 3 Keyboard on X1 Carbon Gen 2

I am interested in this exact topic as well. Looks like the Gen 3 keyboards lack the adaptive keyboard - that clear stripe on the top that changes. The FRU for these X1 Carbons seem to be the whole keyboard, adaptive part, trackpad and bezel - they go for 150 USD or so. Problem is we don't know if it will work given the model year differences.

A nice alternative would be just to replace the trackpoint. They came close with this one, but it is no macbook in terms of tactile feel of the pad. I really am having a hard time with it and it's been about a month. 

Lenovo please help!

bobisms
Paper Tape
Views: 7,101
Message 3 of 52

Right now my rev2 x1 carbon sits in a room docked, I use my rev1 for mobile usage due to the keyboard and touchpad button issues.  I'd be thrilled to actually get to use my rev2 machine as more than an infrequently accessed docked desktop machine.

An option to replace the keyboard/mouse with the rev1/rev3 version seems like a no brainer, now that Lenovo has admitted to the fallacy of the changes.

Lenovo, please let us know when we can fix the rev2 machine so it can be fully functional.  Any guidance appreciated.

eth3rton
Paper Tape
Views: 7,091
Message 4 of 52

I'd also be interestd in this. I ordered mine through NewEgg, mistakenly pickicking up the Gen 2, and opened it before I realized what I had done. No returns.

ritchie888
Paper Tape
Views: 6,979
Message 5 of 52

X1 Carbon 3rd gen keyboard on 2nd gen?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I won't go into the troubles of the 2nd gen keyboard as you all know already. The 1st gen carbon had a very different keyboard to the 2nd gen in that you could remove it much like an old school Thinkpad very simply. The 2nd gen was different and it looks like the 3rd gen is physically very similar. What I want to know is if anyone thinks it is plausible to put a 3rd gen keyboard on a 2nd gen system. These aren't cheap machines and I don't want to upgrade so soon into getting the 2014 model, but the keyboard is just as bad as everyone makes it out to be and if I can swap I'm all up for it!

I've changed my 2nd gen keyboard before, from a US layout to a UK layout board, so know the process. I'd be surprised if the 3rd gen was much different.
Jdrt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,970
Message 6 of 52

X1 Carbon 2nd gen keyboard

We are all proud consumers/buyers of Lenovo. For the frustrated group of us who bought the x1 gen 2 with the different keyboard. Please lenovo, don't cast us away as unimportant.

We only ask of you, for all of us who can't return our computers and have trusted you for many years. Can you charge us for a replacement keyboard like the gen 3? Please we beg of you. We trusted you, love your product and would love to stay with you. The concept was great, the idea great, but read the reviews, over 185 unsatisfied customers that would become satisfied given the option.

Call it the Gen 2 classic keyboard and sell it at your decided price. I know you will retain thousands of loyal customers this way. Not everyone can return or buy another computer now, but everyone hammering you on the forums can get frustrating and can't be helping sales. We think this is a reasonable solution. We know the gen 2 keyboard works, we just prefer the gen 3 keyboard because it is not easy with the new keys and shared keys (delete for example) or the top bar.

Ps. Your gen 3 keyboard might fit, we just dont know. If it does, just give us the option to buy. No need to keep recieving bad reviews. This is an easy fix. Please read this, and please keep your customers happy.

Ps. I am on my fifth lenovo since 1980s. This is the difference from a company who cares to one that justs takes your money and runs.

Thank you
Jdrt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,949
Message 7 of 52

Re: X1 Carbon 2nd gen keyboard

Please keep in mind, I think a paid option is perfect. The gen 2 keyboard works. It is just not what buyers expected and a Gen 3 keyboard will be way more efficient.
Jdrt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,926
Message 8 of 52

Any answer to this?
eth3rton
Paper Tape
Views: 6,919
Message 9 of 52

Re: X1 Carbon 2nd gen keyboard

100% agree here!

Jdrt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,920
Message 10 of 52

Re: X1 Carbon 3rd gen keyboard on 2nd gen?

I am also waiting for a confirmation. I want to have a few employees of ours change from gen 2 keyboard to gen 3 keyboard.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors