Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notanomynous
What's DOS?
Views: 1,205
Message 1 of 7

X1 Carbon - Gen 3 - SSD Firmware Upgrade failed

Hi,

I was having issues with my USB3.0 ports yesterday so ran the driver update tool, once I chose to reboot my laptop for the SSD upgrade, the laptop no longer boots up and occasionaly tells me there is a 2103 Detection error with the SSD.

I believe, the the PC did not properly install the SSD FW update so would like to reflash it with the same firmware, or backwards roll it. 

I can boot into windows from a memory stick and run the firmware update tool and although it can see the SSD - it is displaying the current firmware and thus not allowing me to update.

Is there a way that I can bypass this check of the firmware to push the update out again?

Thanks

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,187
Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 Carbon - Gen 3 - SSD Firmware Upgrade failed

Please post a screenshot where the firmware tool shows the model of SSD along with the current verison of the fw.  Then I'll check to see if there is a way to re-flash or downgrade the firmware.

notanomynous
What's DOS?
Views: 1,181
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

Thanks for looking into this. Attached is the firmware utility running on a WinPE. I'm not sure if the 'port' section should have anything, but I imagine it needs it to even write to it.

The drive does not mount properly within Windows, so can't recover files this way etc and any programs that tend to access drives - such as Windows Disk Manager, Samsung Magician and other disk imaging tools (windows based) just see to loop and never load.

I'm wondering if there is a BIOS level/bootable firmware tool that may resolve this for me, unfortuantely there isn't any for this particular model!

ssdFirmware2.jpg

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,172
Message 4 of 7

Try to reflash with these instructions:

1.  Place this file into the same folder that has EMT23L6Q_DL.ENC

2.  Open fwwinsd.pro with notepad (or your favorite text editor) and make the following change:

Original:

; #### Samsung PM871 256GB OPAL M.2 #####

"SAMSUNG MZNLN256HCHP-000L7","EMT22L6Q","EMT23L6Q","EMT23L6Q_DL.ENC","fwwinupdater_v11.exe","edrivechk","S","Samsung"

Change to:

; #### Samsung PM871 256GB OPAL M.2 #####

"SAMSUNG MZNLN256HCHP-000L7","","EMT23L6Q","EMT23L6Q_nf_enc.enc","fwwinupdater_v11.exe"," edrivechk ","S","Samsung"

Then try running the firmware update again.  Then let us know (1) if it does in fact re-flash and (2) if it fixes the problem you are having.

notanomynous
What's DOS?
Views: 1,142
Message 5 of 7

Hi,

I'm able to now process to the firmware bit, but if never moves off this screen.

file-4.jpeg

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,114
Message 6 of 7

I'm starting to wonder if the drive has failed.  I don't have any other idea if the FW tool itself is hanging.

filo22
Paper Tape
Views: 695
Message 7 of 7

After upgrading SAMSUNG MZNLN256HCHP-000L7 from EMT22L6Q to EMT23L6Q my performances dropped a lot!

Is it possible to roll back to EMT22L6Q?

I think there is a conflict with McAfee Encryption

thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors