Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TenderTendon
Punch Card
Views: 8,338
Message 1 of 4

X1 Carbon Gen 4 or Gen 5?

I've decided to pull the trigger on an X1 Carbon and can't decide which to get. I would rather get the Gen5, but have serious privacy concerns using Windows 10 with all of its telemetry running. The only solution to this that I can see is to pay monthly for Windows 10 Enterprise to have control over this. The other option is to get the Gen4 and run Windows 7 Ultimate (which I already have a license for) until support stops in 2020. That gives me 2.5 years to decide on my next move. If I understand correctly, what I will be gaining by getting the Gen5 over the Gen4 is: Slightly faster processor, USB-C and thinner bezel around display. I would like to have these, but can live without them if it means not being forced to Windows 10. Anything else significant that I will be missing if I get the Gen4? Thanks.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 8,267
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 4 or Gen 5?

Hello TenderTandon,

here´s a X1 Carbon compendium and history blog post.

https://www.adamfowlerit.com/2017/04/five-generations-lenovo-x1-carbon/

Perhaps a good idea to look at, before hitting the buy button. :-)

Best

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

TenderTendon
Punch Card
Views: 8,238
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for that link. I was looking for a comparison like that. That page pretty much sums up what my research has produced, but the side by side pics show something I had never considered. That is, how much smaller the Gen5 is than the previous 4 versions. This really puts a twist to things and makes my decision even harder. I have until tomorrow to decide, as that is when my quote for a Gen5 at 20% off expires. Looks like I may be learning Windows 10 Enterprise management...  Smiley Happy

w0qj
Punch Card
Views: 8,179
Message 4 of 4

The X1C5 (Geneneration 7 = 2017) is so new that there are very other users are using this model yet!

X1C5 may not support Windows 7 (Kaby Lake + Microsoft = no more Windows Update from Microsoft going forward).

For above reason, we are using X1C4 and X1C3 (X1 Carbon Gen4 and X1 Carbon Gen3 respectively),
most of these are running under Windows 7 Pro 64-bit; we purposely chose this OS...

(We also wish that we have Win7 Ultimate 64-bit, but guess when the year 2020 comes around it won't matter anymore...

Daily Driver: X1 Extreme Gen 1 (X1E-1)
X1E-1, X1C-4, X1C-3, X250, X230, T410
Retired Thinkpads: T42, 560 (circa 1996)
Also: IBM Thinkpad era computer bag !

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors