Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
V-C-C
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,738
Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon (Gen 5) with i7-7600U processor will not turbo boost when on battery power

No matter what setting I use, it seems the 5th generation X1 Carbon cannot boost above its 2.8GHz base frequency while on battery power. I've set all Windows 10 and BIOS power profiles to max performance. I'm using the latest BIOS as of the time of this post. Temperature while using Cinebench R15 multi-CPU benchmark doesn't exceed 55C so it's not being temperature throttled.

Is this something Lenovo can resolve in a future update? I'd like to be utilise this processors max performance while away from AC power.

V-C-C
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,724
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon (Gen 5) with i7-7600U processor will not turbo boost when on battery power

Update: Discovered that setting the Speed Shift minimum multiplier to 39 using ThrottleStop (3rd party software) will allow 3.9GHz operation on battery. However it means it'll never scale down which isn't ideal for obvious reasons. So we know this is something that can be changed, we just need Lenovo to allow it to scale the full range.

V-C-C
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,715
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon (Gen 5) with i7-7600U processor will not turbo boost when on battery power

Update 2: After playing around a bit more, enabling Speed Shift EPP on ThrottleStop did the trick! Scales across the entire frequency range on battery now. Maybe something to pass onto the appropriate engineers at Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors