Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nishu08
Paper Tape
Views: 545
Message 1 of 1

X1 Carbon Gen 6 SSD Compatibility

Hello,

My 2nd Gen X1 Carbon is on its last legs (I suspect motherboard failure) and I'm looking at buying a new 6th Gen X1 Carbon to replace it. I had recently bought a new 1TB SSD module as a storage upgrade for the 2nd Gen laptop, and would like to avoid just trashing the fairly new drive with the dying laptop. Ideally I'd like to forego buying additional storage on the new 6th Gen machine and just swap in the SSD module from the old dying laptop into the new one. My plan is to use Macrium Reflect to copy over the Windows and recovery partitions onto my 1TB SSD module right when I receive the new laptop, and then swap it in. 

However, I'm unsure about SSD compatibility on the new 6th Gen X1 Carbons. Specifically, the 1TB SSD module I own is a Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB M.2 size 2280 Sata III drive (model #MZ-N5E1T0BW). It has a B + M key. From what I can gather, it looks like the new 6th Gen X1 Carbons use NVMe PCIe SSD modules and I don't know what key they're compatible with.

Does anyone know if I would be able to use this SSD module that I already own in a new 6th Gen X1 Carbon? Firstly, would the B + M key it's configured for fit in the 6th gen laptop? Also, do the 6th Gen laptops still use 2280 size modules? Are the new laptops backward compatible with Sata III, and would it work at full speed on Sata III even though the laptop is designed for NVMe PCIe? Would there be any bottleneck or other issues caused by doing this?

Thank you!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors