06-16-2015

Singapore

42 Signins

309 Page Views

• Views: 309
  • Message 91 of 185

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 7 regularly mistakes empty battery and shuts down

2020-02-15, 2:48 AM

I'm also on 1.26 and my X1C7 works fine. 

@Andy_Lenovo, is it necessary to update? Lenovo Vantage didn't trigger it for me.

Looks like maybe the battery itself needs a "reset"

Options

0 Posts

02-03-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 92 of 185

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 7 regularly mistakes empty battery and shuts down

2020-02-17, 0:22 AM

We did the BIOS update but also had an onsite tech visit and replace the battery. It's been about a week without issue so far.

Options

4 Posts

10-27-2019

Japan

5 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 93 of 185

Re:X1 Carbon Gen 7 regularly mistakes empty battery and shuts down

2020-02-27, 12:50 PM

I have been following this thread for sometime now as my laptop X1 Carbon (Gen 7) had

same issues both in Linux and Windows 10. Now it seems to me many recent posts are missing

from this thread.

I had sent my laptop to Lenovo repair service. When I received it back they had just reformatted 

the BIOS (it was already up to date) and updated some recently released drivers. Inside Windows,

I found some battery logs. So apparently they had installed a battery test logger and done some 

testing while charging/recharging the battery. It seems to me that they didn't found any problem 

in one charging/dischargingcycle so they sent it back to me. However these battery problems happen

randomly.

I hoped whatever they did had fixed the problem. But within 10 minutes of using the laptop (Linux),

my battery suddenly went from 48% to 0% and my laptop turned off. After restart, the battery shows 

back 48% again. It is so frustrating. I am going to send back the laptop again.

Have you guys find any ways to replicate these problem like incorrect voltage/ battery not detected in

Windows or zero percent battery in Linux? 

Edit:

More information: I had these issues from end of December. But I was waiting to see if any BIOS updates

fix the issues as mentioned in some of the threads in the forum. But these updates didn't help me and I had 

this problem popping up randomly throughout January and first two weeks of February. Later I sent my

laptop for repair.

Options

24 Posts

06-16-2015

Singapore

42 Signins

309 Page Views

• Views: 309
  • Message 94 of 185

2020-03-07, 8:27 AM

I got a new battery replacement and solved the issue

Options

14 Posts

12-03-2019

Germany

22 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 95 of 185

2020-03-27, 10:31 AM

I had the same problems after 2 month using my new X1C7 - battery not found and powering off several  times a day. This makes this expensive notebook unusable! I'm working on linux and first I thought it was a software bug in latest KDE plasma release I upgraded  before or a firmware bug I also upgraded before. After trying everything, posting and searching for a software bug, waiting for firmware upgrades that unfortunately didn't fix this bug I tried to plug off the battery physically. 

I can confirm that it works for me!! The last three weeks I did not see a battery not found message anymore. I hope this is problem is not returning after 2 month usage as it does with the new device.

Options

3 Posts

03-31-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 96 of 185

2020-03-31, 23:21 PM

I've had this issue for months. Writing to confirm that popping open the bottom cover, unplugging the battery, and replugg-ing the battery seems to have fixed it.

Options

20 Posts

08-13-2019

Finland

26 Signins

276 Page Views

• Views: 276
  • Message 97 of 185

2020-04-01, 17:46 PM

Any update to this major issue???? I'm so furious and having this same issue that everyone here is referring to. 

Bought my X1C 7th gen in September from Lenovo directly for almost €2000. Issue started appearing in the fall soon after. I contacted Lenovo support about it and they wanted me to send in with the depot warranty I have (there is no walk in center in my country). This would mean I'd be without my laptop for over a week, which I need as it's my business laptop for my freelance business.

I held off and lived with it for another week or so and then noticed that following a BIOS update or something else, something seemed to make it go away as I wasn't seeing it again until the last week again or so. Coincidentally when the 1.29 BIOS update was released. Same exact issue. I've rolled back to 1.27 BIOS version last night and while it seemed to go away for the first few hours, I'm again seeing all the same signs.

I noticed some here some have said that opening the laptop to disconnect and reconnect the battery seems to have repaired the issue while others have said this hasn't fixed it for them. I'm really reluctant to send out as it would mean I'll be without it for too long, considering my business. Not a realistic option for me.

I'm very capable of opening up myself and doing the disconnect and reconnect of the battery -- I had replaced the battery on my X1C 2nd gen years ago. But I also don't want to destroy the warranty if it ends up not fixing or if something more major happens in the future. 

And why is Lenovo support dead silent on this? WHY IS THIS HAPPENING AND WHY ARE YOU NOT ADDRESSING THIS CLEAR ISSUE WITH MANY OF YOUR CUSTOMERS WITH THIS SAME MACHINE????????????

Are those of you that have made progress by disconnecting and and reconnecting the battery still not seeing the issues anymore?

Options

5428 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39747 Signins

759004 Page Views

• Views: 759004
  • Message 98 of 185

2020-04-03, 0:13 AM

If it helps, my X1C7 had the issue, but it was fixed by a later BIOS. Try updating to version 1.30, the latest, published a couple of days ago: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-7th-gen-type-20qd-20qe/downloads/DS540232

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

6 Posts

04-05-2020

United States of America

13 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 99 of 185

2020-04-05, 6:40 AM

Okay, now this problem came to me just like a day before..

After reads most of comments here (thanks for this discussion), maybe i would try to update BIOS on my Thinkpad right now. Honnestly, i already frustated and confused with this condition.

I will update BIOS, let me update more if it works. 

Current Status : 

Auto shut down (random). 

No battery indicator. 

Need to plug charger to turn on. 

Options

6 Posts

04-05-2020

United States of America

13 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 100 of 185

2020-04-05, 16:37 PM

I've already updated the BIOS (1.30) but it didn't work at all..i should plug in my charger to make mine's ON..

Dunno what to do anymore, if someone have any other solution please share.

EDIT : 

Sorry i need to update some points here. After i reset through reset button, my laptop now can run properly,,

Hopefully it will works for forever :)

I will update soon, if any there any updates about this. 

Thanks!! 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms