Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

08-13-2019

Finland

26 Signins

276 Page Views

• Views: 276
  • Message 101 of 189

Re:X1 Carbon Gen 7 regularly mistakes empty battery and shuts down

2020-04-08, 17:31 PM

@Andy_Lenovo wrote:

Hello All,

A BIOS was released which I am informed will resolve the symptoms reported in this thread, sorry for not posting sooner. It can be downloaded from the below linked to site.

BIOS Update (Utility & Bootable CD) for Linux, Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen, X1 Yoga 4th Gen

@AndyLenovo  @Jwes_Lenovo This suggestion clearly did not fix the issue that all of us are having nor have any of the other suggestions. BIOS is now also up to version 1.30 and problem is as bad as ever for me with random shutdowns. Terribly disappointed here.  Been living with this issue since purchased brand new from your own website in the autumn and it's to the point where it's completely affecting my ability to run my independent business. There is no drop off location in my area and I can't afford to be without it and having it sent in on warranty. What is Lenovo doing to fix this issue? 

Clearly there should be some kind of recall going on or repairs done on site to customers at no cost to them. This is obviously some kind of defect issue on Lenovo's end with all these new laptops. Please advise ASAP.

Options

3 Posts

04-08-2020

Israel

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 102 of 189

2020-04-08, 21:51 PM
my x1 carbon 7 gen came with this exact problem right out of the box! luckily for me amazon agreed to replace/refund the laptop. but even with the refund i still ended up paying import tax for nothing and nobody is going to compensate me for this. especially not Lenovo. you guys should really stop looking for bios updates and stuff like that. it’s clearly an hardware problem. what a shame!
Options

6 Posts

04-05-2020

United States of America

13 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 103 of 189

2020-04-09, 4:55 AM

@ itayu wrote:

my x1 carbon 7 gen came with this exact problem right out of the box! luckily for me amazon agreed to replace/refund the laptop. but even with the refund i still ended up paying import tax for nothing and nobody is going to compensate me for this. especially not Lenovo.you guys should really stop looking for bios updates and stuff like that. it’s clearly an hardware problem. what a shame!

yes could be it's a hardware problem, especially battery. 

just want to update my latest comment on this thread, BIOS update doesn't work even worse than before. Now i SHOULD plug in the battery charger to make my laptop have a life. Without it, zzz..

Options

4 Posts

04-09-2020

Malaysia

10 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 104 of 189

2020-04-09, 5:58 AM

Got my X1 Carbon 7th gen on early Jan 2020.  Getting the random shutdown issues since late february. 

Issues: Random shutdowns with 'no battery' status

Frequency of issue: 1-2 times a day

Model: X1 Carbon 7th Gen (4K display)

SN: 20QDS12500

BIOS Version: 1.30

Attempted fixes:

1. Update bios > no go
  2. Update latest kernel > no go

Solution:

1. Disable battery in bios

https://download.lenovo.com/lts/RTPW10J0/FOF/RTPW10J0-X1CarbonGen7_REM_FRU_00_DisableBattery.mp4

2. Remove back cover

https://download.lenovo.com/lts/RTPW10J0/FOF/RTPW10J0-X1CarbonGen7_REM_FRU_01_BottomCover.mp4

3. Disconnect battery connector from motherboard

https://download.lenovo.com/lts/RTPW10J0/FOF/RTPW10J0-X1CarbonGen7_REM_FRU_05_BuiltInBattery.mp4

4. Reconnect the battery connector

So, far above solution is working for me.  No random shutdown with 'no battery' status after 1 week. 

Options

2 Posts

04-10-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 105 of 189

2020-04-10, 18:11 PM
Thanks a lot for the solution! In the other hand, it's plain ridiculous a customer has to go through all these trouble by himself.
Options

2 Posts

04-14-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 106 of 189

2020-04-14, 15:58 PM

This just started happening randomly to my machine last week.  About 6-months old and no issues prior to this.  

I generally avoid Lenovo Vantage updates unless something's wrong (or it manages to switch my settings to 'automatically update' before I catch it).  I did a bunch of updates for everything power-related and the Thunderbolt firmware and the issue persisted.  I bit the bullet and did the BIOS update because it specifically referenced the issue in one of the fix notes (late March-ish). 

It seems to have resolved the problem without having to open the machine.  I was hesitant to take that step because my battery has been great up until this and I'm bad with a spudge and always seem to break a tab and lose that original "tightness" of the case.  

tldr: the latest BIOS update seemed to fix it.  

Options

20 Posts

08-13-2019

Finland

26 Signins

276 Page Views

• Views: 276
  • Message 107 of 189

2020-04-14, 17:28 PM

BIOS updates did not fix it for me. The 1.30 seemed to for a few hours last week, but then it went right back to the battery issues again. I am indeed biting the bullet and opening mine up following the instructions that some others have posted earlier, apparently to success by simply disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

The Lenovo service has been brutal, I hesitate how it would even come back to me if I send it for the warranty. I only have a depot warranty with no drop off location, meaning I would have to send mine in and be without for extended time. And sending it in is off the table for me, I have my own business and wouldn't be able to work without my computer for the week or two that they'd be holding it and "fixing" it. 

I'm a longtime X1 Carbon fan -- had an X1C 2nd Gen since it was launched in 2014 or 2015. Bought this X1C 7th Gen brand new last September and these issues started popping up a few months in, went away up until recently and it's worse than ever now to the point that it's affecting my ability to hold calls with my clients. I can assure I'll be shifting away from Lenovo after this experience and the zero response from their staff.

The fact that their own staff is ignoring the issue and hasn't recalled or issued a proper fix is garbage, to be blunt. 

Options

2 Posts

04-14-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 108 of 189

2020-04-14, 18:53 PM

I have an Carbon X1 6th gen and I had to reset the battery today (using the pin in the hole on the back) and ever since then I am experiencing exactly what is stated in this thread. Windows alarm then it goes to sleep. Not even sure what to do now.

Options

14 Posts

12-03-2019

Germany

22 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 109 of 189

2020-04-15, 12:47 PM

Hi,

luckily I still can say this battery problem is fixed for me since I unplugged the battery (before 6-7 weeks). I still hope, it will not repeat every few months like it started after two month of purchase ... The notebook was useless with a system going to shutdown every few minutes even in power supply mode (shame on Lenovo for no support in this case). 

Good luck with unplugging your battery!

Best regards!

Options

3 Posts

01-25-2016

California

2 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 110 of 189

2020-04-15, 14:57 PM

Add me to the growing list of victims of this issue. I purchased my X1c about 3 weeks ago, and last week it began the sudden shut downs with no battery detection. After finding this thread, I emailed support. They responded that I could send in my brand new laptop for repair. I asked if this was a known issue and what was the fix. They replied it is a known issue and the fix is to replace the motherboard. I am not down with major surgery on a brand new flagship laptop so I will be returning this laptop for a refund. So disappointed!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms