04-25-2008

United States of America

39744 Signins

758799 Page Views

• Views: 758799
  • Message 131 of 185

Re:X1 Carbon Gen 7 regularly mistakes empty battery and shuts down

2020-04-29, 19:51 PM
OK. It still doesn't sound like you have the problem which is the subject of this thread. My X1C7 had it, and it's quite rude! And a clarification: If you "Shut down" from the Windows 10 Power menu, the X1C7 does not shut down. It goes into Modern Standby.
USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

20 Posts

08-13-2019

Finland

26 Signins

276 Page Views

• Views: 276
  • Message 132 of 185

2020-04-29, 20:44 PM

@ Jeantil wrote:

it may be possible to reset the battery without opening the lid using the emergency reset hole instead : http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display/istcontrib/Lenovo+X1+Carbon+does+not+POST I haven' seen it mentionned here but maybe just missed it.

FYI the reset button underneath does not resolve the issue. Had tried that numerous times both with and without being the power adapter connected before I fixed mine (hopefully permanently). The only solution so far is to physically open the laptop and disconnect the battery.  And for me, I had the problem well before the 1.30 BIOS. This dates back to the Fall months back when I first bought my laptop. 

Anyone can do the fix themselves, It's a simple disconnect of the battery plug and reconnecting it. You're not physically removing the battery or anything but the rear cover. 

I strongly urge against doing the warranty repair on this. There's nothing stopping them from sending you a refurb back or having a rookie kid doing a physical motherboard swap with a refurbed mobo, so I wasn't doing the joke that they call "depot warranty." Thanks Lenovo support for ignoring me and the countless others here!!! Good job!

Options

11 Posts

11-11-2019

Malaysia

22 Signins

175 Page Views

• Views: 175
  • Message 133 of 185

2020-04-30, 0:47 AM

I can now confirm that 'battery empty' problem still happened after 5-6 month disconnect and reconnect the battery pin. Really disappointed. Lenovo should come with solution for this. 

Options

4 Posts

04-29-2020

France

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 134 of 185

2020-04-30, 12:26 PM

FYI the reset button underneath does not resolve the issue.

For what it's worth my experience is slightly different. In my first attempt I pressed the button and released as soon as I felt it click. After restarting the battery situation wasn't much better. I retried this morning but this time I held it pressed for about 10s before releasing. after restarting the battery seems to be behaving fine. It"s barely been half a day so it might be a fluke. I'll report back after the weekend.

Options

1 Posts

04-30-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 135 of 185

2020-04-30, 17:47 PM

As an IT consultant I have many of these laptops out in the world. I have a client in a remote part of the state who is having this issue. I am going to first see if I can get Lenovo out to her but if not I wanted to see the general experience of everyone as far as longevity of fixing the issue after a motherboard or battery replacement?

Options

4 Posts

04-29-2020

France

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 136 of 185

2020-05-04, 16:23 PM

after restarting the battery seems to be behaving fine. It"s barely been half a day so it might be a fluke. I'll report back after the weekend.

Unfortunately it was a fluke, the laptop behaved well under light usage for the weekend and this morning but after a longish session on battery power, I plug it in when it reached below 30%, now it has been plugged for a few hours and keeps reporting as charging but not moving from 28% (Ubuntu focal fossa)

next up: taking the cover off to unplug the battery...

Options

6 Posts

01-04-2019

Canada

3 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 137 of 185

2020-05-04, 18:14 PM

I have had the 4K display X1Carbon Extreme for some 18 months now.  Worked flawlessly until about one month ago.  The same problem reappeared today  After charging my battery yesterday, I booted up the laptop, observed my battery indicator at 98% after using it a short bit,   then after 5 or ten minutes the display went black, and the laptop - shutdown.  This has happened several times now.  BUT, it only seems to happen after I have charged the battery fully to 100% then power the laptop off overnight. - this might have some significance.  To remedy,  I close the laptop and plug it back in to the AC, wait a few minutes, then start it up again.  The battery indicator goes from 0% to 1 to 2 to 4% then all of a sudden jumps to 100%.  So now I'm on this site reading through pages of people having the same problem.  From the readings, battery removal and re-insertion may work - but one commenter states the problem reoccurred after some months. Lenovo says it is a motherboard problem if the laptop is still on warranty. Some say they send in their laptop but when it returns the problem reappears.  I agree with Lenovo owners that Lenovo should own up to this problem and clarify possible fixes before having their laptops returned for a new motherboard.  My first Lenovo and top of the line - not pleased. 

Options

4 Posts

04-29-2020

France

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 138 of 185

2020-05-06, 7:15 AM

This morning I proceeded with the unplug/replug the battery connector. It seems to be charging fine, I will again report back on how this specific fix holds in time. 

I also wanted to report that when i got the laptop I noticed that there was a diagnostic utility in the bios menu. I started using it to run the battery diagnostics when I started encountering the issues. There is a warning listed there and unplugging/replugging the battery connector has not cleared the warning. I am unsure if the warning is related but I haven't seen it mentionned about the battery issues yet so here are photos of the screen since I couldn't find a way to copy/paste/save it to a persistent media.

I am curious to know if people who don't encounter the issue also have the warning and if all people who do encounter the issues also have the warning or if this is somehting entirely unrelated... I have been unable to find any reference to what lifespan mode LS1_5 and lifespan mode RT could be and what that warning is all about... 

Options

16 Posts

12-26-2019

United States of America

25 Signins

235 Page Views

• Views: 235
  • Message 139 of 185

2020-05-07, 9:54 AM

Now, I already went to the Lenovo authornized Center. They told me that need to replacement battery for battery voltage incorrect case. They will replace and claim for it. I want to know clear about this. After replacement finish, this will be ok or not. And another one is replacement battery is new one or refrurbrished. plz kindly share our friend opinion

Options

152 Posts

11-07-2009

United States of America

148 Signins

1184 Page Views

• Views: 1184
  • Message 140 of 185

2020-05-07, 16:46 PM

I recently experienced same error: battery first shows unknown capacity (could not calculate charging time) and then shows zero capacity and forced reboot. I first suspect battery hardware problem, but no. Later on I found it is the power manager pull rate error.  Power manager only pull battery capacity once after reboot and do dead reckoning. Sometime it could not keep tracking and report unknown capacity. The Windows determines it is zero capacity and does force reboot cycle. 

Someone in Lenovo need to look at Power manager source code, and cross check the latest Windows update to see what cause this. FLEX does not even care to take a look -- when customer complains, they just replace battery. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms