Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SvenB90
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,259
Message 1 of 90

X1 Carbon Gen 7 regularly mistakes empty battery and shuts down

For some obscure reason, my laptop occasionally suddenly thinks the battery is empty and goes into sleep/hibernate mode. The power button light blinks a few times and then goes off. Afterwards, I can usually restart the laptop and will continue where I left off. It seems to happen most often when my laptop isn't plugged in. The battery indicator is usually far from being discharged (eg. around 80%-90% and upwards).

When I restart/wake up my laptop afterwards, the chance of it happening a few times in a row is significantly higher. Sometimes, the laptop won't wake up, unless I first long-press the power button to completely shut it off. Sometimes, my laptop won't even turn on unless I plug it in.

The reason I think it's a wrong reading is because the battery level indicates 0% after turning it back on again.

[EDIT] The screenshot shows that the battery is completely charged, but the icon in the taskbar stlil shows "empty" because it just shut down...

SvenB90
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,210
Message 2 of 90

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 7 regularly mistakes empty battery and shuts down

This may be relevant: I sometimes get a message of my battery being charged to "255%" (ref. picture).

biery
What's DOS?
Views: 3,159
Message 3 of 90

I have a similar issue, windows 10 shows 96-98% and it shuts off randomly when I unplug it and use it. Yesterday I tried a few times and the battery did appear to be depleted as it wouldn't start again until I plugged it in, but I don't think it is fully charging.

bittermellon
Paper Tape
Views: 3,133
Message 4 of 90

This is happening to many people with new X1 Carbon Gen 7. There are many threads here and in https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/ about the battery and sleep issues happening in multiple operating systems.

Many are waiting on repairs or simply returning if they are within the return window. It is a shame Lenovo is telling people it is software issue and trying to sell additional software support.

There should be a recall. Shame.
SvenB90
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,117
Message 5 of 90

Do you think you could tell me where you found out that Lenovo thinks it is a software issue?
bittermellon
Paper Tape
Views: 3,112
Message 6 of 90

SvenB90
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,089
Message 7 of 90

To further make my case:

I just tried turning on my laptop after having it charge for the whole night. I immediately gave me a "low battery" warning by Windows and continued to lock my computer due to low battery levels. By immediate, I mean I already saw the low battery level at the Windows login screen.

I couldn't switch it on again normally, so I had to plug it in to have it start again. After 1min I unplugged the laptop again (as I started writing this message), and now it says it is at 100%. For the first time it also gives the warning shown in the attached screenshot.

I was first suspecting some edge-case error in the firmware, but with the last warning it seems to me that a hardware error is more likely.

I bought my laptop last month, so I'm well within the garanty window. I'll see what they say.

biery
What's DOS?
Views: 3,076
Message 8 of 90

This is the same situation I'm in. Haven't had time to call in yet. Let us know if you get any info

biery
What's DOS?
Views: 3,048
Message 9 of 90

Talked to support today they are having me send it in for power supply/mainboard replacement.

Guess we will see what happens

ssalamanca
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,945
Message 10 of 90

My laptop a brand new X1 Carbon 7th Generation with less than 45 days of use started presenting this issue about 2 weeks ago while I was traveling for work. I called Lenovo support for help, and they told me to reinstall the drivers of the battery but still no sucess. While the computer is working on battery party, it goes suddently into hybernation mode. It does not start unless I close the lid the wait some time, then I need to press and hold the power bottom. I thought it had to do with the Bios Update (N2HET40W 1.23) . Now, I am starting to see on the Levono VANTAGE and issue with the memory as well. The computer is too new for these issues.   Has anyone found a solution? Is this a hardware or Bios issue? This is quite dissapointing...Smiley SadUntitled.jpg

351296d2-6cc2-4b9c-9192-f4b7c3fb88b2.jpgbb426d26-e2c1-446a-8649-cc2fde0c6a4d.jpgef206c9c-ccc3-4eaf-ab5c-8abd3f99347b.jpg

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors