Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

06-18-2021

Australia

1 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 2

X1 Carbon Gen 8 not covered by warranty for screen!

2021-06-18, 9:17 AM

Hi All

Last August (2020) I hunted for a good business laptop to take up from my 10+ year Sony Vaio. Because of COVID restrictions, it has barely left the house.  I chose the X1 Carbon because of the Milspec tests, and suitability to 'take the rigours of daily business use'. It cost me a good 25% more than the computers I bought for my daughters at Uni/high school.

Then two weeks ago I noticed a spec on the top left of the screen - I went to wipe of the 'fluff'only to have an apparent internal crack grow in the top left of the screen.

Still well within Warranty - but not according to Lenovo.  Screens aren't covered. Instead a quote for 25% of the purchase price to fix the screen.

I took the requisite photos (see screen image attached) showing no external damage anywhere, and submitted for action to Lenovo - asking for escalation after the first brushoff.

Today - I'm advised still my fault:

As a Lenovo Technical representative, we know how the machines are"designed can determine whether unit is a hardware fault or and induced customer
fault on the hardware.

Based on the issue and the images provided, well as the surface of the LCD panel feels no crack, this is deemed internal damage on the LCD panel
mostly caused by excessive pressure applied at certain point on LCD panel or cover.

So there you have it, a 'business class machine' that will break if you touch the screen (because I haven't applied excessive pressure in that location - nothing was trapped between screen and keyboard).

I'll be pursuing through Australian Consumer Law rights (which Lenovo tried to tell me they'd already addressed in their decision!) but I wouldn't recommend the X1 Carbon as a computer you actually want to use other than a desktop you never move, close etc.

VERY disappointed.

Options

144 Posts

06-17-2015

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

176 Signins

1887 Page Views

• Views: 1887
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:X1 Carbon Gen 8 not covered by warranty for screen!

2021-06-18, 15:34 PM

Sorry to heard about your experience... hope that things would work out for you!

Not sure about the Australian consumer protection.

But in our region, the type of repairs you've just described might be classified under "accidental damage" warranty rider.

But if you somehow admit to manufacturer that you had damaged the screen like that, I'm not even sure if "accidental damage" warranty rider would apply to such a scenario.

Some of our key machines have been upgraded to the full 5-year on-site Premier warranty, along with accidental damage warranty rider, so as to avoid this type of situation you've just mentioned. ymmv.

Anyways, good luck, and hope that things would work out for you!

Daily Driver: X1 Extreme Gen 3 (X1E-3) | WWAN (mobile broadband)
X1E-3, X1E-1, X1C-9, X1C-4, X1C-3, X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250, T410, T42, 560 (circa 1996)
Also: IBM Thinkpad era computer bag !
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)