Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

03-06-2014

NYC

29 Signins

198 Page Views

• Views: 198
  • Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon Gen 9: Left and Right click TrackPoint Buttons Don't Respond When Pressed Simultaneously

2021-06-02, 5:57 AM

I tried searching the boards for this particular issue and couldn't quite find a similar threads. Some came close (like the X1 Carbon Gen 7 unable to use trackpoint buttons with trackpad without suffering a momentary delay), but none hit the mark.

Problem: Pressing Left and Right click TrackPoint Buttons simultaneously does not register as left and right click at the same time.

Test: https://www.onlinemictest.com/mouse-test/ 

Use case: Left and Right click pressed simultaneously is a popular command to move characters forward in MMOs. It is also used in many FPS's where right clicking acts as a zoom, and left click would act as fire.

I believe this is an issue with the driver, specifically the Elan trackpoint driver. Request that the next version of the driver allow simultaneous registering of left and right clicks. This currently works correctly on my X1 Carbon Gen 3 TrackPoint buttons. 

Does anyone else have a potential solution? I've already played around with trackpad sensitivity. Setting it to Most Sensitive has allowed me to at least use left click while pressing down on the keyboard simultaneously. Unfortunately, it doesn't fix this issue though. Thank you if you're able to help!

Options

2074 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

142 Signins

10535 Page Views

• Views: 10535
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:X1 Carbon Gen 9: Left and Right click TrackPoint Buttons Don't Respond When Pressed Simultaneously

2021-06-02, 15:38 PM

Hello jeffnt326,

Greetings

I suggest that you uninstall the ELan trackpoint driver, completely remove it from the machine.
Then go to the support site, download and install a fresh copy of the driver.
Restart the computer and try.
Update us how it goes

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

20 Posts

03-06-2014

NYC

29 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

Re:X1 Carbon Gen 9: Left and Right click TrackPoint Buttons Don't Respond When Pressed Simultaneously

2021-06-02, 20:59 PM

Hi Lorenzo!

Thank you for the recommendation. I can confirm this does not fix the solution. In fact, it reconfirms the current Elan driver is the problem. When it reverts to the default Windows mouse drivers, the left and right buttons DO register correctly when pressed simultaneously. Normally I would accept this as the workaround, unfortunately using Windows default mouse drivers disables the scroll functionality of the middle TrackPoint button...something I cannot live without for sure.

Continue to request the next version of this driver gets updated to support simultaneous presses of the left and right TrackPoint buttons. Thank you!

Options

20 Posts

03-06-2014

NYC

29 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2021-06-04, 18:25 PM

I connected my Thinkpad Trackpoint Keyboard II to see if this issue also exists there. It also uses a form of the ELAN drivers. The good news here is that the left and right click TrackPoint Buttons on the Trackpoint Keyboard II do register correctly when pressed simultaneously. 

Hoping this information also helps in the next driver release for the X1C9 mouse drivers. Thanks again!

Options

2074 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

142 Signins

10535 Page Views

• Views: 10535
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-06-10, 12:57 PM

Thank you for sharing it here.
If there are any additional progress, keep us posted

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms