Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wazzup1085
Paper Tape
Views: 1,601
Message 1 of 11

X1 Carbon (Gen3 20BS) cannot boot NOTHING but BIOS

Yesterday I got some drivers updates along with BIOS update. BIOS seems to update successful (now its 1.14), everything under BIOS works. I had 2 OS: win10 and Ubuntu with grub. I've been a happy user of all these for several months, but...

The problem is that after some driver update (which was done via Lenovo utility for Win10) I cannot boot any OS nor any OS installation even! Recovery ISOs, diagnostic tools... Nothing can be booted. BTW, I know how to deal with Secure boot and legacy mode. I can manage to start the boot process of anything listed above, but they all behave the same. They freeze in the very beggining. Everything which involves ACPI just hangs on boot. Linux hangs after message "ACPI tables successfully requested" or smth like this. Win10 displays dots which go round 1 second and then hangs. If I add "acpi=off" to Linux boot options, it boots (but almost nothing works there without acpi support). Things which don't require ACPI work. For example, I can boit BIOS update ISOS. Still it does no help as my BIOS version is the latest and it doesn't allow to rollback. 

It can't be hardware problem as it occured after Windows updated drivers and flashed some firmware (not BIOS, but I don't know what it was exactly). I can access data on SSD and can see some logs if needed.

Hope for assistance Smiley Sad How to flash again all possible laptop firmware from boot USB? What can be flashed except BIOS?

wazzup1085
Paper Tape
Views: 1,593
Message 2 of 11

Re: X1 Carbon (Gen3 20BS) cannot boot NOTHING but BIOS

I tried to use hard reset... Hold that tiny button on the bottom for 30sec approx. Now it doesn't switch on at all o_O Just no reaction on power button. With or without AC. Not even on long press. What shall I do now?
Lenovo, what's wrong with your devices? Smiley Sad Why can user brick a device just using reset button?!?! Now I cannot even get my data from the SSD... **bleep** it!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,578
Message 3 of 11

Hello and welcome,

This is a long-shot based on reports on a different model and different BIOS.  Probabaly unrelated, but worth a try.

Try disabling DEP in BIOS.  Set BIOS back to defaults or your usual configuration then Security -> Memory Protection -> Execution Protection OFF.  (or similar - I don't have your BIOS to look at)

[edit] see post below.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

wazzup1085
Paper Tape
Views: 1,572
Message 4 of 11

Managed to at least swith on again after detaching battery. Hope I will not loose warranty because the laptop made me do this to switch it on).

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,564
Message 5 of 11

Excellent!  Please ignore my post above - it was a total WAG.

If you're back up and running, please mark your post as the solution.

Regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

wazzup1085
Paper Tape
Views: 1,556
Message 6 of 11

That worked! Man, I love you! Not **bleep**, of course)) Will celebrate now Smiley Happy
wazzup1085
Paper Tape
Views: 1,555
Message 7 of 11

No, just managed to switch it on again. Yiur post about preventing DEP is a solution indeed!
Should I leave it always off now?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,547
Message 8 of 11

OK then Smiley Happy  Sorry, I got a little confused there... I'll go edit my posts.  Again Smiley Happy

It isn't ideal to leave DEP off but you don't have a choice for now.  Hopefully there will be a fix to the BIOS.

I'll try to flag this thread as related to the T450/s thread describing the same issue:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T450-Windows-splash-freezes-after-BIOS-u...

[edit] I was going to suggest you roll back your BIOS version, but because there's a critical security fix in 1.14 that's not possible.

Z.

Former Employee
Views: 1,349
Message 9 of 11

In response to customer reports of ThinkPad notebook systems freezing after upgrading to a BIOS published in August 2016, Lenovo has investigated and found root cause.

More information can be found in this KB article: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/ThinkPad-Notebooks-Freezing-At-Boot-Up-A...

A customer-reported workaround for restoring normal boot up behavior can be found here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T450-Windows-splash-freezes-after-BIOS-u...

I will post again when the BIOS update containing this fix is released for this model.

Thank you,

Former Employee
Views: 1,269
Message 10 of 11

In response to customer reports that after a BIOS update to some ThinkPads, the system may fail to boot, hanging on the Windows splash screen, Lenovo has provided a Service TIP detailing a workaround. A permanent solution will be provided via future BIOS update.

The Service TIP can be found here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/sf16-t0079

Thank you,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors