05-27-2015

US

8 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon Gen3 doesn't wake up

2019-12-28, 9:35 AM

I saw several postings and this problem occuring accross various models.  It's a great computer but this problem just makes it very frustrating.

I have had this problem for several weeks already and I tried to observe some pattern and possible issues.

Issue: SOMETIMES after sleeping it won't wake up (so it's not all the time).  However it behaves ALMOST as if the computer was half on but screen is off.  I can change the keyboard backlit by pressing Fn+Spaecebar and it works as if the computer was on.  Also the control light on F1 button goes on and of if I press the button.  The way I 'solve' the issue is long press power button (to turn it off) and then press it again to turn it on.

Bios is 1.30 and was updated on Oct. 26, 2019 (I think around that time the problem started but I wouldn't bet on it).

With it was also updated: Synaptics UltraNav Driver 19.3.4.223 (also Oct 26, 2019)

Lenovo Power Management driver: 1.67.14.07 was updated on 11/20/2018

Everything else was updated earlier, so it should not have negative impact on the laptop.

What I observed is:

I haven't found a clear pattern but:

Usually it happens more frequently when laptop is off for more than 5 hrs. (but it's not a rule) I saw it happening even after closing it for just 10 minutes.

Usually it happens when more application windows are open

Usually, it happens after several times going to sleep mode and wake up.  I don't recall this ever happening after powering up the computer and going to sleep for the first time.

Looks like there is a 1.31 Bios available - so I will try that update.

What I have done before updating the Bios was creating a new Power Saving Plan - and I used Balanced default settings (logic behind it is that perhaps the prior power savings plan got corrupt somehow).

Suggestions such as format your hard drive is something i really don't want to do and frankly don't really see a point of how this would help. It's not troubleshooting the problem it's basicaly similar to saying buy a new laptop and it will fix the problem (except that it costs much less and actually it may not help at all).

If any of you have faced similar issue and prehaps found solution, it would be of tremendous help if you could share how.  Or if you observed some pattern, it would be also useful to share it, so that others can observe it and find solution faster.  I see this issue quite frequently posted so Lenovo should really take a closer look at it.  This is a fairly significant inconvenience.

Thank you in advance fo any help!

Solved! See the solution
Options

1815 Posts

08-02-2018

US

697 Signins

10126 Page Views

• Views: 10126
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon Gen3 doesn't wake up

2020-01-01, 19:20 PM

Hi pavolk! Could you tell us what happened after the update? Was the issue resolved? Just to make sure everything is up to date, run the update through the Vantage app and install all detected updates.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

05-27-2015

US

8 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon Gen3 doesn't wake up

2020-01-01, 19:56 PM

So far, it's working well - I hope it will continue that way.  So not sure what helped - but three options:

1. Creations of new power savings plan

2. BIOS update (I believe prior to update mine was 1.30).

3. a combination of 1 and 2 - because I've done both 1 and 2 in the order as written before restarting the computer

Hope this may help someone else.  If the issue reappears I will report back.

Happy new year to all!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save