cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bart11
Paper Tape
Views: 3,794
Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon HDR screen - What do we think?

I received my X1C with the HDR screen a few days ago. I must say it's taking me a while to get used to it. The colors seem over-saturated and the screen is even more glossy than that on a MacBook (I compared them side by side). I have to run it at max brightness to deal with the reflections in a normal office environment.

I also ran the HDR vs Mac video on both machines (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0beTQt0az0) and I get the same result (both in Chrome and in Edge): The Thinkpad screen just doesn't look natural.

This may be fixed with a software update to enable full HDR support. But also in ordinary Windows applications the colors pop so much that it hurts your eyes. I recalibrated the screen and turn all the colors down a few notches, especially the red, to make it more bearable. 

Maybe it's just me - having lived with matte Thinkpad screens for the last 15 years. What do you think?

Kevliu78
Token Ring
Views: 3,765
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon HDR screen - What do we think?

Totally agreed with you.

Especially Red color is too much than the rest.

For me I would go for WQHD screen colours it's more natural than the HDR.

Maybe it's looks more vivid colours , but I do manually to adjust in intel graphics setting.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 3,751
Message 3 of 5

@bart11 wrote:

I received my X1C with the HDR screen a few days ago. [...] But also in ordinary Windows applications the colors pop so much that it hurts your eyes. I recalibrated the screen and turn all the colors down a few notches, especially the red, to make it more bearable.

Exactly the same experience for me on the X1Y3 HDR screen. I found a one-click solution: select the Lenovo color profile "Standard", which is far more muted/natural. Except this no longer works due to a bug in the latest Win10 update. To be continued. I hope!

Partlys4int
Paper Tape
Views: 2,083
Message 4 of 5

I've got the matte WQHD display- precisely to avoid glare- and there is some oversaturation too but probably not as much. I've reduced saturation with 5 points and also reduced blue overtones.

Coming from a Vaio Pro 13 (Sony has stopped making them) there's a decrease in image quality for sure.

I think many reviewers and producers focus too much on display specs: RGB-coverage, OLED, 4K, HDR, etc. But let me tell you: my Vaio Pro display was a mere 1080 p 13,3 inch display but specifically made by Sony's Bravia- tv division. And boy was it a joy to use. My current X1 carbon 6th gen is a trusty device, but could do with a screen update. It's badly calibrated but otherwise still a very good display better than most (I've tried the 1080 p latest dell XPS too). But I don't think it will ever top my old and dead Vaio Pro's display.

I've never seen a better display on a laptop thus far. Some part of me thinks that TV manufacturers and laptop manufactures have made agreements not to make laptop screens too good to avoid cannibalising TV-sales...

bart11
Paper Tape
Views: 2,078
Message 5 of 5

After recalibrating I got mostly used to the over-saturated colors. I love the brightness and the resolution of the screen but the glare kept annoying me to no end. However, I found the perfect solution: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/8qmln8/x1c6_hdr_matte_screen_protector_installation/?utm_...

If applied carefully this will give you a perfect result. I've done this a couple of months ago and it still looks like it came out of the factory this way. I now have the best screen I've ever had on a Thinkpad.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors