Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 10,069
Message 21 of 39

Re: X1 Carbon - Maximum Resolution for External Display

there is no hdmi to dual link dvi adapter. So that method won't work. Your best bet is to get an OneLink Pro dock, and then get a displayport to dual link dvi adapter.

Otherwise, get a usb 3.0 dock that supports dual link dvi out.

Or get a 1440p with HDMI 1.4 in.

Sorry, but that is the only thing that is available to you for support 1440p on a monitor without hdmi 1.4 in.

-------------

DP out standards support dvi and hdmi, but hdmi out doesn't dp standards. That is why your HDMI to DP method won't work.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
The_Pope
Paper Tape
Views: 10,065
Message 22 of 39

Interesting.

Can I just one 1440p off the mini-DP (yes) and with a OneLink Pro dock, which has 1 x full DP (instead of two single-link DVI on the USB 3.0 Dock) I can then just go DP to DP for my second monitor, right?

No need for the DP to DVI.

Thanks for much for your help. It seems IT have just plain bought the wrong dock! I still find it a bit weird, since HDMI 1.4 can handle 4K. I wonder what spec the port is on my Carbon... it's all digital so while I accept your advice, I can't figure out why the HDMI - DP cable didn't work.

UPDATE: the Lenovo documentation says that the DVI will drop to 1920x1200 if the DP is used. So I'm assuming I will be mini-DP + Dock full-DP to get 2 x 1440p

Views: 10,044
Message 23 of 39

@The_pope

Affirmative on the One Pro Dock DP + laptop's miniDP at the same time. This is how i am driving my U2713hm (my U2713h is at work).

Yes HDMI 1.4 can handle 4k, it just doesn't pass a signal necessary for DP to work. DP can output HDMI signal, but not vice versa.
Regards,

Jin Li

The_Pope
Paper Tape
Views: 10,040
Message 24 of 39

Legend! Thanks for the tips. My OneLink Pro dock is on order, and hopefully this thread can serve future owners on how to reach 3 x 1440p heaven Smiley Happy
Views: 10,034
Message 25 of 39

no problem.
Regards,

Jin Li

chrissodey
Paper Tape
Views: 9,770
Message 26 of 39

Hello,

With the x1 Carbon's lid closed I am trying the following:

OneLink Pro Dock

DVI - 1920x1080

DP to DVI adapter - 1920x1080

Onboard miniDP

miniDP to DVI adapter - 1920x1080

The problem is the monitor connected to onboard miniDP is only able to go up to 1600x900.  It should be able to handle 1920x1080 correct?  Could this be a driver issue?

Thanks!

The_Pope
Paper Tape
Views: 9,768
Message 27 of 39

It's totally doable. I have a colleague who runs with the lid closed, and powers two 2560x1600 monitors. One via dock, and the second via miniDP.

I personally run with the lid open, and can happily run three 2560 screens (two external; plus the laptop display.

Might be drivers, but also, if you can, try a native DP monitor. I'm not sure about the miniDP to DVI adapter (that MIGHT be holding you back)

chrissodey
Paper Tape
Views: 9,765
Message 28 of 39

Turns out it was the adapter.  Using an apple minidp to dvi works.  The Lenovo however does not.

DiBrun
What's DOS?
Views: 9,707
Message 29 of 39

Hi Jin,

You seem like the expert here.

I have just bought the new Carbon X1 with touch screen and high res display.

I have also bought a OneLink Pro Dock for it, and I have just a single external monitor Samsung 27" SA850T that can do 2560x1440 resolution. It is right now connected to the Dock via DVI.

I cannot adjust the screen resolutions for my external monitor above 1920x1200. I've tried installing new drivers bnut nothing helps. I'm sure you know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

DiBrun

olde
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,649
Message 30 of 39

Two sales guys said in writing that the X1 Carbon could drive two 30 inch monitors, each having 2560x1600 resolution.  They also said I would need an ultradock PRO, which has two video outs (DP and DVI).  After a day with tech support, during which they charged me to figure out that their sales people lied to me, I can now confirm that the X1 Carbon will not drive two 2560x1600 external monitors.  

What you can get:  You can get 1 Displayport connection out of the back of the dock working on one of the monitors at full screen and almost full resolution, but then the other monitor will be blank.  If you then connect the second monitor up via the mini-Displayport on the side of the X1 Carbon, both external monitors will go blank.  

If you have the first monitor connected by DP to the dock, then connect the dock's DVI to the second monitor, the first monitor will go blank, and the second monitor will show a shrunk display, with black border around it.  

Basically, the ultradock PRO seems to be a waste of time for the Carbon X1, because the X1 is only powerful enough to support a single external monitor, preferably less than 2560x1600, using displayport only as DVI will not support that resolution under any configuration. 

Hope this helps.  We had multiple X1's here to test, and spent many hours on this problem, changing USB drivers, connection orders, connection configurations, cable types, etc.  It definately seems to be a hardware limitation of the X1 that Lenovo did not know about until tech support gave up on it, yesterday.  

I think the Lenovo T440s with integrated graphics (dont think it comes with descrete) has a dock with two DP on the back.  I think this laptop/dock combo can drive a pair of 2560x1600 monitors with a contiguous desktop.  But Lenovo's components seem to be getting weaker with each product generation, so I am failing to find a way to upgrade my trusty T410s, which can do two 2560x1600 monitors, plus its own screen, no trouble. 

Top Kudoed Authors