Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leders
Blue Screen Again
Views: 29,553
Message 1 of 49

X1 Carbon PXE Boot Issues

Firstly Hello everyone, and sorry if this has been asked / solved before... I couldn't find the search option for the forum (its early, my brain is still sleeping).

I have issues with getting the X1 Carbon to PXE boot, I have it connected to the network via the Lenovo USB / Ethernet adaptor, and when I press F12 the LAN option is there. This is where the problems start.

One you press enter to boot via NIC the screen goes black and the text ">>Start PXE over IPv4" is displayed, this lasts for about 30 / 40 seconds before exiting back to the boot menu. It never boots through to Ghost. I have double checked that I have the TFTP server, PXE server and Ghostcast Server running correctly (and has been tested using a Vaio).

Has anyone else seen this issue? Fixed this issue?

Thanks for reading, and any help would be greatly appreciated

I hope I think I know
lbest
What's DOS?
Views: 29,418
Message 2 of 49

Re: X1 Carbon PXE Boot Issues

I'm having the same issue only with SCCM.  All other models work properly.  When I PXE boot the Carbon with the USB Ethernet adapter, it doesn't recognize the adapter.  I've added the 2 NIC drivers to the boot image.  Is there something else that needs to be done?

Thanks for any assistance.

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 29,377
Message 3 of 49

My understanding is that there are two USB ethernet adapters from Lenovo.  One that supports PXE, and one that doesn't.  It's also my understanding that most of the devices shipped with the X1 Carbon aren't the USB adapter that supports PXE.

membiela
What's DOS?
Views: 29,303
Message 4 of 49

Hi,

I am also trying to install the company OS to a X1 Carbon.

First I tried with a normal Ethernet Adaptor, but the PXE Boot option did not appear in the Boot order device List.

Now I bought LENOVO PART NUMBER: 0A36322 Ethernet Adapter USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter.

It is very difficult to find, but finally I bought it from Germany.

When you connect the adapter to the USB 2 (take care not to connect it to USB 3.0 or otherwise it will not work)

then the option to boot from PXE indeed finally appears, but when the OS is supposed to begin to load, it does not load.

I mean that the adaptor gives the possibility to boot from PXE but the information seems not "to understand".

Anyone with the same problem? Any trick?

Highlighted
MariuszG
Paper Tape
Views: 29,242
Message 5 of 49

I experience exactly the same problem, I see "Start PXE over IPv4" and then after 20seconds it just goes back to Boot Menu. I was not able to continue. I will have a conf call on 12/17/2012 with Lenovo Hardware Support, that will help me troubleshoot this issue, I will update you with the status, as soon as I find out something.

tdupont
Fanfold Paper
Views: 29,205
Message 6 of 49

I am also experiencing this same issue. Our PXE environment is working for every other device we have tried on it for the last 6 years, but I'm having no luck with the Lenovo. Smiley Sad

MariuszG
Paper Tape
Views: 29,160
Message 7 of 49

Well.... looks like we figured that out.

This system in our case comes optimized for Windows 8 (settings in BIOS).

1) So... Go to BIOS SETUP

2) SECURITY tab --> Secure Boot --> set SECURE BOOT to [DISABLED]

3) Go to STARTUP tab --> UEFI/Legacy Boot --> set to [BOTH]

Save/Reboot and try to PXEBoot. Let me know if that works for you.

tdupont
Fanfold Paper
Views: 29,125
Message 8 of 49

That worked perfectly for me. 

Thank you!

docnorton
Fanfold Paper
Views: 28,749
Message 9 of 49

I can PXE boot (SCCM 2007r3) but can't deploy the image past the initial WinPE screen - it seems to drop the LAN Adapter...

Any ideas anyone?

MariuszG
Paper Tape
Views: 28,690
Message 10 of 49

i am not sure about your problem but did you already inject "Lenovo USB2.0 Ethernet Adapter" into WinPE boot image? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors