Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
docnorton
Not applicable
Views: 5,077
Message 31 of 49

Re: X1 Carbon PXE Boot Issues

Hi,

It certainly seems like the driver is missing at the point where your PE image takes over.

You've previously mentioned that once you add the drivers you do a rebuild of the image - by this do you mean update the distribution point?  (I use SCCM for deployment - I think is that MDT?)

If you have tried my version of the driver and not had any luck the only thing I can suggest is testing a few different drivers by firing up a command prompt (F8 within SCCM allows this - not sure about yours but I can see "exit to command prompt" on screen there) and using the drvload command to manually load a few different drivers from a USB pen or somthing to see if they work.

See here for info on that: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766390%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

I hope that helps you.

nschultz
Not applicable
Views: 5,068
Message 32 of 49

To clarify... I press F12 it PXE boots to my server.

I then select the LiteTouch option from the menu it load quickly  --> At this point it is SCCM, given it is 2008 updating drivers are a real pain so Windows AIK was installed when you select LiteTouch it loads the _x64 wim.

It then load the LiteToucPE_x64.wim file during this process it takes ~2 minutes to load --> Normally this is fast for all other machines, but it slow with the Carbon X1.

Then I am greeted with an error message that says there are no Network Adaptors on this computer! Yes, it has an exclamation mark.

In regards to the driver... Yes, add the OOB drivers, then click the deployment share and choose Update Deployment Share. At that point the x64 Wim file is updated. I have even selected COMPLETELY regenerate the boot images, and restarted the WDS services, and tried rebooting my server to rule out that I missing to restart a service anywhere. Yet the issue persists. I will try your what you suggest and will update the post.

docnorton
Not applicable
Views: 5,059
Message 33 of 49

This is the driver I'm using:

http://sdrv.ms/18smT3Z

I've upped it to my skydrive for you to try.

I had the same issue with the boot PE taking forever to copy across with the Carbon but it was resolved when I used a different USB port.

I hope it's just a case of the driver and this sorts it for you.  Failing that I really am stumped!

nschultz
Not applicable
Views: 5,044
Message 34 of 49

I updated the image with 5.14.8 drivers that also failed. I am  now removing the Lenovo LenLan drivers, the drivers loaded from the SCCM driver pack, and forcing a complete rebuild of the WIM. Just incase the boot process is having an issue with determining which driver to attempt to load.

FYI

I tried the F8 option and there is no DVRLOAD command available.

docnorton
Not applicable
Views: 5,041
Message 35 of 49

You may need to get the exe from another source first...
nschultz
Not applicable
Views: 5,040
Message 36 of 49

I was thinking the same thing... I will work on getting the dvrload.exe if the current Rebuild doesn't resolve the issue.

I loaded the 5.14.8 drivers and remove the other LENLAN drivers... updated the deployment share, rebooted the deployment server same issue.

Note I also tried UEFI and Legacy boots. In both cases I tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports with no luck.

nschultz
Not applicable
Views: 5,016
Message 37 of 49

I replied to the Lenovo tech with the following info... Maybe a direct reply will get some assistance.

You can see my posts and what I have tried at:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X1-Carbon-PXE-Boot/td-p/845629/page/5

and

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X1-Carbon-PXE-Boot-Issues/td-p/927977/page/4

PXE is not working.

nschultz
Not applicable
Views: 5,014
Message 38 of 49

Lenovo Dongle

Model: U2L 100P-Y1

PN: 0B67708

FRU 04Y2083

SN 2013180006R

DATE 201318

Laptop

Type 3444-FAU

Bios G6ET96WW (2.56)

embedded controller ver: G6ht21ww  (1.03) 

willisj318
Not applicable
Views: 4,954
Message 39 of 49

We are having a similar problem. X1 carbon imaing was going fine until about a week ago. Now it fails after the PE phase of the process. Nothing in SCCM logs that a driver failed or there was an error. Afer the PE phase and it reboots into normal windows the process breaks as the network drops. 

This happens now with any Lenovo that uses the usb to ethernet dongle, X1 and Helix. All of our other models image fine. I updated all drivers for the dongle from Lenovo's site. Nothing has changed on our end that would have killed this process. 

I almost feel as if it is an adatper issue. We have had several adapters that dont PXE boot at all and switching to another one works. 

MMrok
Not applicable
Views: 4,443
Message 40 of 49

Hello willis did you ever get this resolved we are having the same problem to the X1 and HElix also using the dongle

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors