Did you mean: 
Highlighted
karlo
Punch Card
Views: 4,143
Message 1 of 6

X1 Carbon SSD Encryption

Hi,

Does the new 2014 X1 Carbon with i7 processing, machine type 20A7 have the ability to encrypt the 256 Gb SSD?  If so, how to encrypt?  I called Lenovo Support and they tell me they don't know, and do not assist customers with configuration matters.

karlo

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,120
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 Carbon SSD Encryption

The 256GB SSD option in type 20A7 supports hardware encryption.  To activate it, you can set a HDD password in BIOS setup, or else use 3rd-party software (like WinMagic SecureDoc).

You could also use software encryption like Windows BitLocker or TrueCrypt.

So there are lots of options, but by far the easiest thing to do on a single system is to set the HDD password in BIOS setup.

karlo
Punch Card
Views: 3,992
Message 3 of 6

Thanks.

Does a file get encrypted only when it is saved to the HDD (SDD) after the password is entered?  Or, does the file become encrypted even if it was placed on the HDD (SDD) before entering a password?

karlo

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,980
Message 4 of 6

The SSD is always encrypting (whether you have password set or not).  The password is simply protecting the encryption key which is stored on the SSD.  Think of it like a safe.  Your data is going into the safe, but the door is unlocked until you set the password.  After you set the password the door locks and your data is completely protected (unless you know the password).

jogi77
Paper Tape
Views: 2,276
Message 5 of 6

Hi,

I have the same question regarding my X1 Carbon SSD 512. Neither the Lenovo support nor the manufacturer Samsung have been able to answer the question. 

In my X1 (20BS00A5GE) there is a Samsung SM951 HD (SAMSUNG MZHPV512HDGL-000L1)

Lenovo SRU: 04X4480

If I set the HDD password in BIOS, is the data on the harddisk AES encrypted or is only the access to the HD protected by the password? Means has the HDD a build in AES encryption or do I have to use Bit Locker tp protect my data?

If I have to use Bit Locker is there a good manual how to set it up best e.g. use some security features of the HDD.

Anybody out there who knows?

Thanks 

Jogi

MaXiu
What's DOS?
Views: 71
Message 6 of 6

I have a similar question to the others in this chain, but my laptop is X1 Carbon 3 Gen with 256G: samsung mzhpv512hdgl-000l1.  Righ now it has HDD password, which was set up in BIOS, but I don't know whether the HDD is actually encrypted or not.  And I've read somewhere that it if it is encrypted then removing the password will render all the data on my HDD inaccesible - lost for ever.  If its not encrypted though, I want to remove the password and then install some encrption software.  What to do?  Any advice?  Is there any way I can found if this drive supports full disk encryption?

Thanks!

Top Kudoed Authors