Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffhoward001
Paper Tape
Views: 1,212
Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock audio issues

Hello -

I have a X1 Carbon with the ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock.  Everything worked great under Windows 8.1.  I would occassionally have an issue with the dock not coming online after resuming Win 8.1, but it was easy to fix by powering the dock on/off or rebooting.

However since upgrading to Win 10, I have a very frustrating audio issue.  Application seem to have trouble picking between the sound device inside the laptop and the dock.  For example, I'll get an incoming call from Skype, and it will start the call on the laptop internal speakers, then say the "Realtek audio device is unavailable".  If I call the person back, it then completes the call and works fine through the dock audio device (which is what it should have done the first time).

However the issue isn't only with Skype, it's with all apps.  For example, if I start Pandora in the Chrome browser, it will start playing the audio through the laptop speakers for about 1 second, then stop.  I then have to refresh the web page a few times to get it to start playing out of the dock sound device.  All the while, Windows is configured (and properly reports) the dock sound device as the default (which is what I want).

I suspect this is an issue with the drivers for either the dock or the X1 not properly talking to Windows 10, but both are up to date, and either Lenovo or DisplayLink (who makes the dock drivers) have any noted issues with audio-switching.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  It's very frustrating.

twee22
Paper Tape
Views: 1,148
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock audio issues

I'm having the same exact issues !

Have you find a solution yet ?

jeffhoward001
Paper Tape
Views: 1,139
Message 3 of 5

I do have an interesting update on this!

My computer went through a round of windows updates last week, and skype has been a little better since then.  BUT, here's the big update: I bought a netbook for a family member, and plugged it into my dock just to see how lower-spec intel hardware did on the dock and it had the same issues! Totally different hardware & manufacturer (HP Pavilion x360 with the light-weight pentium chipset).

So I think that squarely puts the issue on the Displaylink dock driver.

Displaylink is the company that makes the chipset inside the dock that drives all the communication between the laptop and the peripherals (there's a small sound card inside the dock).

When I first received my X1 with Windows 8 RTM (the original 8.0 version) I had a ton of issues with the dock.  Then a few driver revisions later, most of them went away, then after the upgrade to 8.1 the all but went away as long as I powered off the dock each night (which I still think is lame, but whatever).

Now all that said, I'm pretty disappointed that Windows 10 has been out for a year, and I'm still having issues. My next stop will mostly likely be a post on the Displaylink forums to see if anyone else is having this issue.
twee22
Paper Tape
Views: 1,136
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the update !

Besides having a problem with the audio going crazy with this Dock, I'm also suspecting Win 10. Since I'm using the X1 carbon also with WiDi to output the screen to a remote Netgear Push2TV device while having similar issues, the audio sometimes going crazy, when pausing a movie it suddently selects to output the audio to the internal speakers instead of the TV, and only when playing with the default audio output device over and over again or reconnecting to the TV it selects the TV as an output again.

All these instabilities are caused probably by a combination of Win10 + all the different drivers.

I'm super dissappointed with the behavior of this USB 3.0 Dock and my X1 carbon. 

BTW, I'm having a second laptop, Windows 7 Dell Latitude with the same USB 3.0 Dock which works perfectly well !

Highlighted
RadioFan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,101
Message 5 of 5

Hi, I have a X1 Carbon (Model 3444B7U) with a ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock (Model DU9019D1) connected to Logitech Z4 speakers through the auido port on the front of the Dock.

Recently, I've upgraded from Win7 to Win10, and naturally, I've updated the audio drivers and the DisplayLink driver as required, I'm having a hard time keeping the sound comnig out of the speakers! Every so often, it switches to the internal Carbon X1 speakers! I've tried many combinations of settings on the Playback devices panel to restore playback through the speakers. The Playback shows 2 entries:

(1) Speakers, Lenovo USB Audio, and

(2) Speakers/HP, Realtek High Definition Audio.

I've tried both enabled, only one enabled, one the default device, the other default communication device, and all other combinations.

This is driving me crazy. Is there some incompatibility issue between drivers happening here, or does the ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock not work well with Win10?

Thanks, Jim

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors