Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Time4Now
Paper Tape
Views: 304
Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon Touch 1st Gen Hinge Replacement

A hinge has broken on m X1 Carbon 1st Gen, Type 3443-CTO.  Replacement is addressed in my copy of Hardware Maintenance Manual for regular LCD screens but I can find no information on replacement with the Touch Screen.   "Bezel" is just a narrow strip at the bottom - not a full frame.  Removing this bezel strip does not look like it would expose screws to replace the hinges.  Does anyone know if the hinges are even replaceable with the touch screeen?   If so, any pointers on how to access behind the screen?  Same 04W3905 hinges as regular screen?   

Thanks for the help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 303
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon Touch 1st Gen Hinge Replacement

Hello and welcome,

I don't have such a machine but just took a quick look at the HMM.

The way I read it, the instructions in the 1st/main section applies to touch panels.  The 2nd section is titled "Removing or replacing an LCD FRU for models without touch panelfunction" which I take to mean that the preceding section _is_ for touch.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Time4Now
Paper Tape
Views: 284
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for quickly looking at my problem.  I have relooked at HMM, 5th ed. Sept 2013 and think that previous section was how to remove the whole LCD unit from the base cover.  That section looks like it would apply to either screen type,  but it does not show how to breakdown a touch LCD unit (>$1,000) to replace one $12 part.   Does your edition show something more?  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 279
Message 4 of 5

OK, had a chance to read the HMM more closely, and I see what you mean.

My WAG is that the bezel is just stuck on w/double-stick tape or equivalent, but that's a total WAG and not very helpful.

We have active members here with repair experience.  Hopefully one will join the conversation.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Time4Now
Paper Tape
Views: 270
Message 5 of 5

It was good to relook at HMM.  I too hope it is simple to lift screen enough to get to hinge screws.  I do hope to hear from someone who has done before I launch into disassemble.   This is my wife's and the closest authorized repairer appears to be 3 hrs from here.  They want to keep it 2+weeks.  Thanks for taking the time to look at it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors