Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

03-20-2013

South Carolina

4 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 1 of 4

X1 Carbon Touch Blue Screen 3rd party Synaptic driver root cause

2013-03-20, 18:27 PM

My X1 Carbon Touch Thinkpad blue screened after 3 days of me getting it, it has also subsequently blue screened a seemingly random occasions. I've looked at the crash dumb files and recieved this:

On Wed 3/20/2013 5:44:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\032013-9968-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: smb_driver_intel.sys (0xFFFFF8800585AC4E)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x8, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8800585AC4E)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\windows\system32\drivers\smb_driver_intel.sys
product: Synaptics SMBus Driver
company: Synaptics Incorporated
description: Synaptics SMBus Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: smb_driver_intel.sys (Synaptics SMBus Driver, Synaptics Incorporated).
Google query: Synaptics Incorporated DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Every time my computer has crashed this has been the message in the dump files. There are no updates available for this driver however, does anyone have a suggestion?

Answer
Options

1302 Posts

12-06-2012

Raleigh, NC

545 Signins

33643 Page Views

• Views: 33643

Re: X1 Carbon Touch Blue Screen 3rd party Synaptic driver root cause

2013-03-21, 19:50 PM

Hi, Patrick_Johnson

There may not be any updates for that particular driver, but there could be a conflict between that driver and another driver that needs an update. There is a BIOS update for your system that is fairly recent that may help. The driver could also be corrupted, so you could try to uninstall the Synaptics driver by going to Device Manager ► Mice and other pointing devices. Once here, open the tree and right-click on the device and select Properties. Then select the Driver tab and click on Uninstall at the bottom of the list. This will result in a Windows generic driver being installed. If the system behaves fine after this, I would try installing the driver again and see if it was corrupted.

Hope it helps,

Adam

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution!" This will help the rest of the community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

1302 Posts

12-06-2012

Raleigh, NC

545 Signins

33643 Page Views

• Views: 33643
  • Message 2 of 4

2013-03-21, 19:50 PM

Hi, Patrick_Johnson

There may not be any updates for that particular driver, but there could be a conflict between that driver and another driver that needs an update. There is a BIOS update for your system that is fairly recent that may help. The driver could also be corrupted, so you could try to uninstall the Synaptics driver by going to Device Manager ► Mice and other pointing devices. Once here, open the tree and right-click on the device and select Properties. Then select the Driver tab and click on Uninstall at the bottom of the list. This will result in a Windows generic driver being installed. If the system behaves fine after this, I would try installing the driver again and see if it was corrupted.

Hope it helps,

Adam

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution!" This will help the rest of the community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

02-18-2013

Bristol, Ct

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 3 of 4

2013-03-31, 23:38 PM

I am having the exact same blue screen. My machine had been fine for weeks, but then I've had the BSOD twice in the past few hours. Only thing different is that I am running with some significant network activity today that I haven't had before. (Updating a 100GB file over iSCSI.)

Did you ever find any resolution? 

Thanks!

-- Jared

Options

3 Posts

03-20-2013

South Carolina

4 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 4 of 4

2013-04-11, 15:38 PM
Adam's help seems to be a solution! I haven't had a BSoD since I installed the update. I will let you know if the problem persists in the future but as of yet this seems to be a viable solution!

Thank you Adam!

Patrick
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms