US

104 Signins

642 Page Views

• Views: 642
  • Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon Touch - Lenovo Settings (metro) cam audio modules crashes

2013-07-14, 15:15 PM

This is kind of strange.

I think it is right after Lenovo Settings (Metro) 1.2.0.14184 2013/07/11 and/or Settings Dependency Package 1.2.0.21 2013/07/08.  The Camera and Audio modules would crash if I go into those two, not showing the settings, preview etc. 

If you do change settings in Camera app, it would crash also, looks like it try to call up the same modules.  You can still take pictures though.

But Poweer, HotSpot, Location portions still work, looks like those are completely independent.

I uninstall both Metro settings app and desktop settings dependency driver and reinstall - still same thing.

I triied going all the way to settings dependency 1.1.0.20 2013/03/22 (ggsd20ww), no good.

As there is no easy way I can find to load an older version of app from Windows Store, I tried sideloading 1.1.x from enterprise install doing Add-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -FolderPath C:\lenovosettings, didn't worked at all for some reason, I have done that before.

I did find a less than optimal workaround.  if you go into

C:\Program Files\Lenovo\SettingsDependency\CameraAudio

and manual install that portion, (you get an extra package in add/remove program normal not there, jus settings dependency usually) it still won't work.

but

if you uninstall the cam audio

Lenovo Settings (metro) apps's cam and audio won't crash anymore, but you don't have extra features anymore, just generic mute mic, auto exposure.

so it is definitely something wrong with the cam audio part of setting dependency, but no easy way to clean it up and start fresh again as far as i can tell.

any thoughts?  like go in registry and try to purge the keys? that seems a bit too much for something uninstall should take care of ...

Options

1302 Posts

12-06-2012

Raleigh, NC

545 Signins

33643 Page Views

• Views: 33643
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon Touch - Lenovo Settings (metro) cam audio modules crashes

2013-07-14, 22:42 PM

Hi, yipcw

My first recommendation would be to try a system Refresh. This is a feature that is designed to fix issues within Windows 8, so it may be able to help you with this issue. If you do a Refresh, then all Metro apps not from the Windows Store will be deleted, as will any apps that were installed from the web or a disc (such as games or Microsoft Office.) As such, some programs may need to be reinstalled, but your personal files like music or photos will not be touched.

To perform a Refresh, open the Charms Bar from the right and select Settings. Next, select Change PC settings from the bottom of the page. From here, open General and then scroll down near the bottom and look for Refresh your PC without affecting your files  and click the Restart now button below. This may be able to fix the issue. 

Hope it helps,

Adam

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution!" This will help the rest of the community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Options

77 Posts

05-21-2011

US

104 Signins

642 Page Views

• Views: 642
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon Touch - Lenovo Settings (metro) cam audio modules crashes

2013-07-15, 12:23 PM

It is certified enterprise image for ~2500 machines we just start to deploy.  We don't do refresh.  I can just have machine reload to factory image, it only takes like 5-10 min. much faster than refresh and no need to reinstall applications.  I know it works without the updates when I dropped it to your guys in ITCC in Morrisville HQ.

We just have to make sure people don't update to those particular versions of app|driver if reproducible in more boxes (or other users in forums have seen it), unless we can figure out why the cam audio drive (aka Communication Utility for Windows 8, even the program files folder still say that) portion is broke.  the metro app looks like just a skin that call up the Lenovo AV Framework stuff underneath.

It could be an isolated case caused by other things.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete