Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erithtotl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,734
Message 1 of 149

X1 Carbon Touch - touchscreen problems

I posted this on the tablet forum but probably more appropriate here:

I am one of the lucky ones who just got the X1 Carbon Touch (after a 2 month wait).

Touch screen is VERY spotty.  Will just stop working.  All the time.  Even in the middle of gestures.

I found that by going to the upper right corner touch will start working again, and then it'll stop moments later in the middle of an activity.

This is Windows 8, of course.  I have used plenty of other Windows 8 devices so I'm not a novice.  I have never seen this behavior.  Is this a driver problem?  A setting I don't know about (some special Lenovo thing?).  I am hoping its not hardware.  The fact that touching the upper right corner enables things for awhile seems to indicate its not hardware but not certain.

erithtotl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,641
Message 2 of 149

Re: X1 Carbon Touch - touchscreen problems

I seem to have resolved this.  Went into the Tablet control panel app, and started playing with the 'Calibrate' function.  After doing it a few times and not getting it quite right (It's designed for a pen), I did a 'Reset' on the settings and now the touch seems to be working normally and properly.

urbanglowcam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,633
Message 3 of 149

Scared me there for a second.

Do you mind posting any pictures and/or thoughts on the X1C Touch? Mine should be arriving next Wednesday but I'm just curious about it.

How is this display quality?

erithtotl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,602
Message 4 of 149

It came back.  Definitely not fixed.  I'm not clear if a particular activity caused it or it was random, will see if I can find more info.

Jeffreyjames
What's DOS?
Views: 26,593
Message 5 of 149

What a shame! I'm awaiting on my order to come. Not to change subject, but would you PLEASE comment on how the screen is? Does it seem to have IPS, or does it seem lower quality with "screen door" effect?

erithtotl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,502
Message 6 of 149

Honestly I don't really know what IPS looks like vs a regular monitor, so I'm not sure I can tell you.  I am not a screen expert.

But the touch screen is basically unusable at this point and I'm not sure what to do.  There is no touch screen driver really, and in fact I'm unable to get the laptop to recognize a Windows 8 boot USB drive, so I haven't been able to reinstall the OS.

The touch isn't even listed on the support site nor the model number, so I'm not sure what if anything Lenovo can offer as far as help.

Normally I'd just return the **bleep** thing but I waited two months for this.

erithtotl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,422
Message 7 of 149

I am starting to suspect this is hardware now but can't be certain until I can figure out a way to redo the OS.  This is a company bought machine so I'll take it to the help desk on Tuesday as I am done wasting my time on it.

To summarize what I'm experiencing, after I turn it on, the touch will typically work for a few seconds, afterwards it will not.  Swiping in from the upper right corner a few times will typically restore touch for another few seconds (I'm talking, literally, 5 seconds) before it will stop responding to touch input again.

Since no one I know or on this forums seems to have gotten there's yet I can't really confirm that I am the only person having the issue, would much appreciate once someone does get it to check.

Btw these issues seemed to get progressively more common throughout the day (with shutdowns and reboots in between having no effect).  At first when the touch stopped working I chalked it up to some installation glitch but then it became more frequent until the near-constant state is in now.

erithtotl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,413
Message 8 of 149

Ok, I managed to reload windows (had to turn off secure boot, change to support legacy boot devices AND remove USB HDD from the boot exclusion list.

After loading a fresh copy, the touch issue is back.

So assuming others don't get this issue, it's almost certainly a hardware issue.

Guess this goes back to Lenovo on Tuesday and I get to wait another 2+ months for a new machine.

upbull340
Punch Card
Views: 26,398
Message 9 of 149

Sorry to hear about your day one problems. 

If you go over to the Yoga 13 thread you will see complaints about the touch screen.  There problem sounds like software and may not be related to your problem. 

Do you like the screen?  Brightness, vivid colors, crisp text, etc.?

erithtotl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,342
Message 10 of 149

I don't have a problem with the screen.  The resolution could be a bit higher but no issues so far.

Honestly I haven't spent much time looking at how the screen looks because of this touch issue.

I looked at the ideapad forum and it does not appear to be the same issue.  That was an issue with power to USB devices.

I don't have any USB devices plugged in and changing the power setting on the touchscreen USB device has no positive effect.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors