Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MGilberg
Paper Tape
Views: 296
Message 1 of 6

X1 Carbon Touchpad comment

Just one person's opinion, but I find the lack of separate physical buttons on the X1 Carbon touchpad to be a real impediment to using the computer without a mouse.  Looks sleek, not functional.  Maybe if enough people agree with me we can at least get an option for buttons in the future.  Who's with me?

jedsheckler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 272
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 Carbon Touchpad comment

I can't agree. I use the touchpad on the X1 Carbon as my primary navigation device and if anything it's too small as it is. Do you use the tap to select option or click to select? If anything I would make the bold assertion that the touchpad is now good enough that Lenovo should offer the option of doing away with the trackpoint in order to have a larger touchpad surface where the current trackpoint buttons are. I was a long-time devotee of the trackpoint, but touchpads have now matured to the point that I prefer them. And larger is better.

MGilberg
Paper Tape
Views: 263
Message 3 of 6

jedsheckler...   I agree that the trackpoint is not useful.  It would be fine to drop the trackpoint and move the trackpoint buttons to work with the touchpad.  I think the touchpad size is OK, larger would also be OK, but I right-click instead of left-click much of the time because there's no clear definition between the buttons.  The Dell Latitude provided to me by my employer is overall a less desirable computer, but the point-and-click operation works much better on the Dell touchpad.  I've come to this conclusion based on actual comparative use.  Give it a try, you might change your mind.

jedsheckler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 260
Message 4 of 6

I use many Dells as well so I'm fairly familiar with them. I do not use the regions of the touchpad to define left and right click. I use a single finger for a left click and two fingers for a right click. This works anywhere on the pad and is the same as on my Mac. It works every time.

MGilberg
Paper Tape
Views: 255
Message 5 of 6

Aha.  You use "tapping."  I have that feature turned off because of constant clicking when I didn't intend to click.  I can see where that would cause different opinions of how to use the touchpad.  Nevertheless, I would find separate buttons to be extremely useful with the touchpad, and they just take up unused space when associated with the trackpoint, which is also turned off.

Highlighted
jedsheckler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 249
Message 6 of 6

The one finger/two finger method also works with clicking, even if all tap gestures are turned off . I use a mixture of both taps and clicks depending on what's most convenient. I did experiment with turning off all tap to click gestures when dialing in the trackpad, but found that turning off just the 'Tap twice to drag and multi select' option got rid of 99% of my stray clicks while allowing me to still use the tap to right and left click functions which I often find more convenient.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors