cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jik
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,285
Message 1 of 11

X1 Carbon Windows 10 upgrade problem: "display is not compatible with windows 10"

Trying to upgrade from W7 (64bit) to W10 on X1 Carbon. The W10 diagnostics come back with "The display is not compatible with Windows 10." All of the display drivers are huge downloads and I don't know which one to use. I am NOT a tech person. Help? Thanks.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,241
Message 2 of 11

Re: X1 Carbon Windows 10 upgrade problem: "display is not compatible with windows 10"

The easiest way to locate the correct driver is to go to http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/ and click on the "Detect My Product" link (it looks like a computer monitor)

If that fails, then you will need to locate the exact type of X1 Carbon you have and post that information back here so the correct video driver you need can be determined.    See the link below for details on locating the exact type.     

Note:   Please do not post the S/N (serial number) portion, just type data circled in the link is all that is needed.   The S/N is unique to you and should not be posted onlline.

How to Identify Your ThinkPad X1 Carbon Type

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/x1-carbon-help

You can also download and use a utility from Lenovo called ThinkVantage System Update to update all of the drivers your system needs automatically, just be sure to have your laptop plugged in to AC power when you run it as it might take a while depending on your connection.    

Also, if prompted to update the BIOS or Firmware, I would recommend against doing so as BIOS updates can be problematic, and are best left in the "if it is not broken, do not fix it" category in my opinion.

ThinkVantage System Update

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/migr-73695

How to use System Update / ThinkVantage System Update
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/How-to-use-System-Update-ThinkVantage-System-...

Cheers!

jik
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,228
Message 3 of 11

Re: X1 Carbon Windows 10 upgrade problem: "display is not compatible with windows 10"

Thank you so much. The model number is 20A7002JUS. When I go to Display and Video Graphics it gives me five options and I don't know which is the right one. This is where I got stuck yesterday.

scbydrew
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,216
Message 4 of 11

Well, 2 of them are for windows 8, so you can disregard. It doesn't seem like you're specifically having issues with the wireless display feature or the usb display adapter. You almost definitely want the Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7. Good luck.

@jik wrote:

Thank you so much. The model number is 20A7002JUS. When I go to Display and Video Graphics it gives me five options and I don't know which is the right one. This is where I got stuck yesterday.

scbydrew
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,216
Message 5 of 11

For myself, when checking on my driver status, I noticed I had another display driver installed which was from a remote access client I use seen here (LogMeIn): 

logmeindriver.PNG

So then I uninstalled LogMeIn, confirmed that the driver was uninstalled (required a restart), and now the Windows 10 update is running successfully.

So for you go to your start menu. Type "device manager" into the search bar and open the device manager. Confirm that you only have the Intel Graphics under display adapters. If not, uninstall anything else that is there. Restart the computer and confirm that the uninstall did remove the ohter drivers. Try Windows 10 Upgrade.

jik
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,201
Message 6 of 11

Well, it was a good try....but it didn't work. It downloaded and installed fine, but when I try the Windows 10 upgrade, I still get "The display is not compatible with Windows 10." Thank you for your patience and help.

scbydrew
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,197
Message 7 of 11

Jik, did you confirm through the device manager that you don't have any other display adapter drivers installed?

jik
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,187
Message 8 of 11

Thanks. Saw your earlier post and in fact DO have another driver. It's called Glance Speed Boost and Glance 2.9 also shows up under Programs and Features.

After a lot of noodling around, it looks like it might be something that was automatically installed (without permission) when I installed the latest version of Family Tree Maker.

On this techtalkz forum -- http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-help/94670-glance-speed-boost.html -- on 6/6/2015 the person named Larry described his experience uninstalling those two items.

It sounds like this is above my pay grade -- not sure I could manage a blue screen on my own...

I suspect you're right -- that the extra driver is the problem -- but don't know what I'll do about it.

Thanks so much for your help.

jik

scbydrew
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,179
Message 9 of 11

Well, for most of us, poking around deleting files can be asking for trouble, but if you are able to uninstall it from the "add or remove programs" feature of the control panel or by right clicking the driver in the device manager and deleting, then you are probably pretty safe to attempt it. At least in my case it was software I knew I had added, so I felt comfortable removing it. Best of luck!

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,178
Message 10 of 11

Glance Screen Share was probably installed by a technician so they could remotely work on your computer at some point in the past, but its presence is now is blocking the upgrade, most likely because it so old.

You should be able to just uninstall the Glance software from your system via the Programs and Features control panel.

• Press and Hold the Windows Key and then press R to open a run window.
  • In the run window type: appwiz.cpl   and press enter
  • Look for a program called Glance Screen Share, or any other program from Glance
  • Once found, just double click on the program name, and select Uninstall when prompted

If you cannot find Glance in Programs and Features, it may have been uninstalled, but left its video adapter/driver behind, but you can remove it by using Device Manager.

• Press and hold the Windows key and then Press R to open a run window
  • In the run window type:  devmgmt.msc  and press enter.
  • From withing Device Manager, double left click on Display Adapters to expand if needed.
  • Locate the Glance display adapter, right click on it and select Uninstall     
  • On the Confirm Device Uninstall screen, make sure to check the box to "Delete the driver software for this device" and press OK
  • Once complete, reboot your computer.

Good Luck,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors