Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Microsoft MVP
Message 1 of 84 (15,382 Views)

X1 Carbon Won't Boot without AC Cord

If I shut down the machine via the start menu while unplugged and than try to turn it back on again I can't.

It seems like there is no power to the board while the machine is off.

Anyone else having this problem?

-Michael Archambault
Microsoft MVP
Message 2 of 84 (15,278 Views)

Re: X1 Carbon Won't Boot without AC Cord

I seemed to have fixed it the old fashion way...

I opened the unit and unplugged the battery than held down the power button for 30 seconds. After plugging everything back in the unit seems to be fine.

Smiley Happy

-Michael Archambault
Former Administrator
Message 3 of 84 (15,258 Views)

Michael,

That is really odd.  If this happens again, try booting on AC, go into BIOS and try disconnect and reconnect battery and see if that resolves it.

Could be just a randomly stuck bit which will never happen again...

Or, maybe a quirk with power manager, somehow (?) but I don't think any of our internal folks who have been racking up hours on X1 Carbons as their daily work systems have noted this - I asked a few.

Keep us posted, and if anyone else experiences this, let's try to compare notes settings...

Mark

Highlighted
Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 84 (15,335 Views)

if you are thinking about getting X1 carbon ... avoid

after 6 delays, it finally arrived. Plug it in, press the power button, I can see the wifi light but nothing happened for 15 mins. none at all. Checked the calendar and it's not April 1st. I supposed the machine is dead on arrival.

Call the tech support, he told me the machine is new and he sent me straight to the sales department. Sales department said the tech didn't check anything and was about to send me back to tech. I told him, I just want a refund. OH wait, I can't return either, the "return department" will open on Monday. 

This is just torture. I have to look at a piece of junk for the entire weekend? I don't understand why am I spending a premium price on a machine with shipping problem, product issue, and bad customer service. I have been loyal to thinkpad for ~10 years, from T42, T60 ... X1C ... This is sad and is about time to pick another company.

-A very disappointed customer.

Community SuperMod
Message 5 of 84 (15,322 Views)

Re: if you are thinking about getting X1 carbon ... avoid

Did you try the rubber chicken approach that George so frequently recommends?

Unplug the AC adapter and take out the battery
Push the power button 10 times in a row at one second intervals
Push and hold the power button for 30 seconds
Reinstall battery
Push the power button

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 84 (15,102 Views)

I just opened two new X1 Carbons and neither would power-on without having eh AC cable plugged in.  I opened the keyboard on one of them, disconnected and reconnected the battery.  Still no DC power to the unit.  Power switch is obviously good as the unit powers-on with AC.  I have let the system charge for hours, too.  Not a dead battery.  I updated the BIOS and the power management version.  Still, will not power-up using battery. 

These are the first two Lenovos I have purchased for our corporate fleet.  We currently use Dell Latitudes.  I wanted to see how the Lenovo X1 Carbons were by comparison.  Not too excited at this point.  Any pointers?

ceb
WWAN
Message 7 of 84 (15,304 Views)

JaneL wrote:
Did you try the rubber chicken approach that George so frequently recommends?

Unplug the AC adapter and take out the battery
Push the power button 10 times in a row at one second intervals
Push and hold the power button for 30 seconds
Reinstall battery
Push the power button

The battery on the X1 is not user removeable - actually, nothing in that device is - so he really shouldn't be opening up a brand new unit.

From the reports here, it looks like Lenovo has forgotten all about IBM quality control and rushed this device to market.

Say what you want about Apple but they market their stuff right (I don't like Apple)

When a new device comes out, they generally have sufficient stock and the QC is dead on. Here the QC is just plain dead.

I hope this doesn't bode badly for the two X230 computers I have coming in.

Bit Torrent
Message 8 of 84 (15,286 Views)

The X1 Carbon is unique.  From the User's Guide at http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1_2g_ug_en.pdf

Disabling the built-in battery
You need to disable the built-in battery in the following situations:
• Your computer will be turned off for an extended period of time.
• Your SIM card needs to be replaced.

To disable the built-in battery, do the following:
1. Turn off your computer and disconnect the ac power adapter and all cables from the computer.
2. Turn on your computer. Press F1 to enter ThinkPad Setup when the ThinkPad logo appears.
3. Select Config ➙ Power. The submenu is displayed.
4. Select Disable Built-in Battery.
5. Click Yes in the Setup Warning window. Wait for a few minutes till the inside of the computer cools.

Then there's the reset button on the bottom.  According to the User's Guide, if the machine won't power down, you use the pin hole on the bottom.

So one is hardware based, and another is BIOS based.  A bug in either could cause an issue.  Since your machine is having issues, you might try the published procedures and see if they help.  You might get lucky.

Bit Torrent
Message 9 of 84 (15,090 Views)

[ Edited ]

This sounds similar to the design for the Samsung Series 9.  There's a pin hole on the bottom of those machines.  If you stick a pin in and punch the micro switch, the connection to the battery is logically severed. The machine will not boot.

If you plug in the AC adaptor, the machine will boot and the connection to the battery is reset.

The X1 Carbon also has a pin hole but it seems it is used for a slightly different purpose.

The X1 Carbon also has a BIOS setting that allows you to break the connection to the battery.  The X1 Carbon User's Guide describes its use.

I suppose a software bug could present a problem with the logical connection.  Since there is a physical switch or breaker of sorts, a defective switch could also cause problems.

I suggest downloading the User's Guide at http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1_2g_ug_en.pdf and looking at the procedures.  I am not sure if any of them will help, but you should be aware of them.

Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 84 (15,277 Views)

Thanks. I tried the reset pin and it make no difference. Since the screen is blank, I cannot access the bios.

Top Kudoed Authors