Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Administrator
Views: 3,257
Message 21 of 84

Re: if you are thinking about getting X1 carbon ... avoid

me9394,

Thanks for your PM's and the chat today.  Will do our best to help get this resolved .

Mark

ThorsHammer
Not applicable
Views: 3,346
Message 22 of 84

Re: X1 Carbon Won't Boot without AC Cord

@Ken wrote:

Just to add a point although it sounds like this is not what you all are experiencing. 

Systems with an integrated battery ship with the battery temporarily disabled to preserve the battery. When AC is first attached the battery automatically enables it self. So new out of the box units will likely need the AC brick attached to it first.

Which is precisely why I mentioned it. 

It wasn't a common procedure prior to the wave of ultrabooks and this design.  I understand the design to ship the machine with the battery logically disconnected, but people aren't used to that being the norm.

If everyone read the fabulous manual (RTFM) or in the case the setup poster, and did the first step, this would not be an issue.  See the setup poster and first step at http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/0b48780.pdf.

Smiley Very Happy

ceb
Not applicable
Views: 3,286
Message 23 of 84

@ThorsHammer wrote:

@Ken wrote:

Just to add a point although it sounds like this is not what you all are experiencing. 

Systems with an integrated battery ship with the battery temporarily disabled to preserve the battery. When AC is first attached the battery automatically enables it self. So new out of the box units will likely need the AC brick attached to it first.

If everyone read the fabulous manual (RTFM) or in the case the setup poster, and did the first step, this would not be an issue.  See the setup poster and first step at http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/0b48780.pdf.

Smiley Very Happy

WHAT? Read the manual? Surely you jest. We're all real men and women here and don't need no stinkin' manual.

It is much easier just to get on a forum and complain about how bad a product is. We can get our fanbois all riled up and pretty soon we've created a huge problem where there wasn't one.

Isn't that way more fun than reading the freakin' manual?

Many of the problems are self inflicted. Either we don't read and follow directions or Lenovo has failed at communicating something to us.

ThorsHammer
Not applicable
Views: 3,257
Message 24 of 84

I am probably the case it was designed for.  I plug the machine in right out of the box to see if I see the tell tale sign the AC adapter and charger are working.  This of course enables the connection to the battery. 

I also clone the disk before booting into Windows. I never do that on battery because you really don't know how much battery is there.

mareluce
Not applicable
Views: 3,222
Message 25 of 84

>> I also clone the disk before booting into Windows.

How do you do that? 

zackiv31
Not applicable
Views: 3,209
Message 26 of 84

Using Linux, most likely.  I did the same thing and then 7zipped the image to 20gb.  Now I can erase and still go back to factory later (if I decide to return/resell).

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/MYEXTERNALDRIVE/x1c.img
mareluce
Not applicable
Views: 3,192
Message 27 of 84

You installed Linux on a different partition on the X1C, or... something else more voodoo?

Where did the Linux run from?

zackiv31
Not applicable
Views: 3,179
Message 28 of 84

It's called a "Live CD"... or in this case, a Bootable USB flash drive.  Basically it allows you to boot from a USB drive without touching the main drive.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

mareluce
Not applicable
Views: 3,165
Message 29 of 84

That is too cool.  

And that command does not change the hard drive at all?    (I last used unix 20-ish years ago...)

So I could

1) Initiate that command from 1 USB stick

2) Copy the partition to another USB stick or SD card.  I just bought a 64gb SD XC card.

ThorsHammer
Not applicable
Views: 3,096
Message 30 of 84

@mareluce wrote:

>> I also clone the disk before booting into Windows.

How do you do that? 

I use a product from Acronis called True Image Home 2012.  When you buy the full product, you have the ability to create a backup/recovery DVD.  Therefore, you can boot the machine using that DVD and make a copy of the storage device before every booting into Windows for the first time.

That's how I do it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors