Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
SCSI Port
Message 1 of 53 (3,078 Views)

X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga do not wake up after sleep mode -- issue continues across thinkpad generations

[ Edited ]

Over the past several years there are many posts of users experiencing variations on this problem with X1 Carbon and X1 Yoga of various generations, including the latest ones (I provide a list below). That is, the systems often cannot come out of sleep mode in some way, shape, or form.

I had this problem on my own brand-new X1 Carbon 5th Generation, right out of the box. In my instance, I noticed this issue in the following two scenarios:

1. -After having gone in to sleep mode, once I opened the lid, or press power button once:
    • power light goes from blinking to solid on
    • screen stays blank/black
    • seems that if the machine is going to be in the frozen state, keyboard presses do not "unsleep" it (which they normally would). Closing the lid causes the power light to go to solid on, but then opening it again does nothing.
    • in a couple of rarer instances, the machine actually did come out of sleep but then instantly the screen froze (but this was quite uncommon, mostly it just wouldn't come out of sleep at all)
  2. -After passing the initial boot screen of Lenovo, the next part shows the Lenovo logo but without the swirling dots and is frozen (the power light would show on)

Under both conditions:

• The power light is solid on
  • The keyboard lights functionality works: backlighting, FnLock light, mute light
  • Sometimes you can hear the fan working
  • Plugging in to external display does not display anything on it
  • The only way to rectify is to do a hard shutdown by holding the power key

With my machine, this was happening about 25% of the time when it would go into sleep mode -- this completely defeats the purpose of having a "portable" laptop if you can't depend on it waking up. On the freezing during boot, I would say that it was much less common, maybe 10% of the time.

After a couple of tech support calls, tech support surmised it was a faulty motherboard that needed to be replaced. To have a brand-new laptop needing a motherboard replacement was disappointing, and it was also clear that it wasn't even certain that that would solve the issue. When I offered to send my system's event logs, they weren't interested. Given the raft of similar issues I have found on this forum (see list below), is it really plausible that the production process at Lenovo is so bad that faulty motherboards are created often? Seems unlikely, and nevertheless, several of the past posts say that replacing the motherboard didn't even solve the problem. So it seems the problem lays somewhere else.

I'm writing to ask Lenovo staff -- are you even aware that this is a multi-generational crashing issue?

I have to ask the question because it keeps on coming up even to the present day, so it seems as if the root of the problem has not yet been addressed -- here's my compilation of topics related to this issue, some of which date back over 3 years:

What could be consistently causing this problem over the years? Is it BIOS issues? Or is it perhaps interaction with Windows during wake up? Perhaps it's something to do with the TPM? Or perhaps something with OPAL and encrypted drives?
(I note that in my specific machine, I was using encryption, and had the 512 MB OPAL Samsung SSD -- not sure if that is common among all the posts above)

I'm not even writing for assistance for me -- I actually returned the machine (since it happened as soon as I got it, I was able to return it, unlike users who had had older machines -- Lenovo customer support was pretty helpful to me in that regard).  I'm writing because I would actually want to buy a X1 Carbon again in the future, because it was otherwise a fantastic machine. But I'm only going to do so if this issue is going to be finally resolved at some point. Otherwise, the machine is unusable as a portable device due to potential for data loss.

Many thanks in advance!

Community SuperMod
Message 2 of 53 (2,986 Views)

Re: X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga do not wake up after sleep mode -- issue continues across thinkpad generation

Hi lenanto!

The automatic forum SPAM filter moved your post aside, because it had so many links in it I think. With some help I was able to get it back. The other multiple posts on the same subject have been moved aside - it's just too hard to follow a discussion when it's splintered across threads.

I have had and still have several X1 Carbon's and X1 Yoga's and have not seen any of these problems. Do you have any thoughts on how to reproduce it?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
SCSI Port
Message 3 of 53 (2,973 Views)

Re: X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga do not wake up after sleep mode -- issue continues across thinkpad generation

[ Edited ]

Hi bananaman!

Thanks for rescuing the post. In my research for this, I had responded to a few of those posts I listed, and it seems I guess that they were all caught in the filter.

Now regarding reproducing the problem, it really felt random as to when it would occur. It could happen both when I would "manually" put the machine to sleep (i.e. close the lid), as well as when the machine would automatically go to sleep after being unattended. In all cases, I also note that I was not really doing anything particularly taxing beforehand (just either maybe MS Office or web browsing). It was impossible to predict when the next wake up would fail, or to do a sequence of steps to ensure it to not wake up (or at least I didn't try hard enough!).

Just to add further colour, the specific details of my X1 Carbon 5th gen were:

• Machine Type: 20HR
  • CPU: Intel i5­-7300U
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Drive: Samsung 512 GB SSD, PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0
  • Wireless: Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 with vPro
  • I was using BitLocker, although I'm pretty sure it also happened once before enabling BitLocker
  • Windows 10 Pro (I note the problem occured on both v1607 and after upgrading to v1703/"Creators Update")
  • The machine was "brand new" without third-party software bloat/viruses/etc (that sometimes can be a culprit for problems). Also being "brand new" also makes the classic "reinstalling Windows" trick unlikely to solve anything either.

Are any of those machines configured with some of the elements I listed above?

As I alluded to in my first post, I actually had saved the Windows Event logs around the times of the crash. Some things I had noted before/after the crash in there:

• After rebooting from the non-waking state, there would be log that the previous system shutdown unexpected
  • "driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load", which is Windows Driver Foundation under services.msc. Since the "Windows Biometric Service" depends on that, I wonder if perhaps the fingerprint device could be shortcircuiting something internally...
  • I found a forum post referring to a system locking up and that had generated a "TCG Command has returned an error" right before freezing, suspecting some Bitlocker problem with accessing the OPAL subsystem on the SSD -- however, there were no such event logs in my system.
  • "Bootmgr failed to unseal VMK (Volume Master Key) using the TPM" -- what I don't know is whether this was from the times when the machine failed to boot as I described before, or whether that was from times when I had just mistyped the passphrase...

I'm happy to hear that you have several X1s that are not behaving in this way -- it gives me confidence to order a new one at some point.  I'm on a Yoga 3 Pro from 2014 and it is really time for a new and fast machine!

Community SuperMod
Message 4 of 53 (2,954 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please stop making multiple posts across the community on the same subject. It makes any discussion impossible to follow. Thank you.

Let's continue the discussioin here!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 53 (2,905 Views)

We've had similar issues with X1 Gen 4's and possibly Gen 3's and even an M900 desktop.

For us, we think its not sleep that's the issue, but locking the workstation (which for us happens on sleep). Users have reported Win+L locking their workstation, undocking, walking down the hall, opening the laptop and having the "black screen" issue (forcing a hard reboot). There wasn't enough time for the system to exceed the sleep timer. Also, there are some errors in the event log around that time regarding the LockApp ( Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy).
SCSI Port
Message 6 of 53 (2,897 Views)

[ Edited ]

Useful info!

In my Event logs, I didn't see anything regarding the LockApp, but I will note that in my case right before the "The previous system shutdown at HH: MM: SS on ‎DD/MM/YYY was unexpected.", it also had an error from AppModel-Runtime: "App Container profile failed with error 0x800700B7 because it was unable to register the AppContainer SID." Not sure how relevant that is.

Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 53 (2,888 Views)

I don't see any errors in the AppModel-Runtime log. 

Just to clarify in case you want to look (and we aren't 100% sure these things are even related), we'll see 3 errors in the Apps | Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log related to Microsoft.Lockapp_cw5n1h2txyewy!WindowsDefaultLockScreen usually refering to "remote procedure call failed.."

SCSI Port
Message 8 of 53 (2,879 Views)

Do your machines have NVMe SSDs?

I also found this thread with something similar seemingly being caused by the SSD it seems (and a BIOS update fixed it):

ThinkPad X270 PCIe SSD (NVMe) refusing to wake up from low-power state - Lenovo Community

Fanfold Paper
Message 9 of 53 (2,872 Views)

They are all SSD though I'm not sure how to check if they are NVMe (I'll ask our hardware guys). Still, I read through the linked thread and it doesn't sound exactly like the issue we have over here. Our systems aren't in a low power state (I can see event logs being recorded while the screen is black.
SCSI Port
Message 10 of 53 (2,750 Views)

Anyone at Lenovo read this/aware of this as a mutli-generational issue?

A Lenovo staff had replied to a recent post with a similar issue, but that is also not resolved (X1G5 fails to wake up).

Top kudoed Authors