cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SoonerLater
Serial Port
Views: 142
Message 1 of 1

X1 Carbon Yoga (4th Gen X1; 1st Gen X1 Yoga) - Spontaneous Reboots - Thermal Overheating Suspected

I own a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (1st gen as a Yoga; 4th gen as a Carbon), Product 20FQCTO1WW. Starting two days ago, it randomly reboots. The event log shows that it has had an unexpected reboot ("The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."), but reading the events leading up to the reboot doesn't give me much of a clue as to why. The only interesting events are messages that a core of the CPU is being throttled ("The speed of processor X in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.").

I took the bottom cover off and agressively blew compressed air in every crevice. This did remove some dust buildup, but the system wasn't as dirty as I expected. In fact, it looked pretty clean. I also vaccuumed. And I removed the fan and thermal heatsink and throughly blew compressed air through it and made sure that there was no gunk clogging the heatsink air fins. After reassembling, it seems to be slightly more stable, but it has still rebooted a few times. 

There are lots of threads where people complain about fan noise and ask how they can reduce the speed of their fan. I'd like to run mine at max 100% of the time (noise be darned) for a few days just to see if that keeps the system from randomly rebooting. However, I don't know of a sofware setting where I can control that. 

Is there some more detailed logging I can turn on which might capture more useful information for the next time this reboots? 

By the way... Lenovo Vantage shows that there are no available updates for my Thinkpad and Windows Update shows that there are no updates available from Microsoft. It's fully up to date. I did not install any new software around the time that this problem started. I suspect that the issue is not software related. 

Any suggestions? I'm out of warranty, but I would pay to have Lenovo troubleshoot this before throwing it in the bin.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors