10-15-2014

GB

7 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 1 of 1

X1 Carbon adaptive keyboard dead

2018-01-25, 23:27 PM

A friend has an 2nd gen X1 Carbon (20A7), purchased with Win 8.1 Pro, long since upgraded to Win 10 pro.
"BIOS" as they keep calling it, is latest, GRET54WW 1.31

Windows automatically updated, Lenovo Vantage Auto Updates on.

A while ago she "cleaned" the adaptive keyboard, since when, she thinks, it does not work. It is "dead", not even lit up. Note, this may be coincidental. She says she used firm pressure, but I think it unlikely she physically damaged it.

Since then on power up a message is displayed:

"Flashing Adaptive Keyboard Firmware... Please do not power off!"

This stays for perhaps 30s before booting continues. I cannot get to the EFI by pressing enter at this stage, (but can from the OS). Then, all seems normal except the non working adaptive keyboard.

Searching the message in quotes, even just the first half: "Flashing Adaptive Keyboard Firmware" produces zero hits.

Zero!

Looking in Vantage / Lenovo System Update, I saw that around the same time, "ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration Package Setup - 10 [64] - V.9.0.0.7" was shown as successfully installed. Suspecting this, I googled how to uninstall, and was led to n1wvu28e.exe. There is however no uninstall option in that package.

Further, running n1wvu28e.exe told me that its default install is to C:\DRIVERS\HOTKEY. Although Vantage showed it as installed, this directory had only a single "setup.exe". I ran n1wvu28e.exe which populated C:\DRIVERS\HOTKEY with 21 items. No change though.

How can I pursue this without replacing the adaptive keyboard?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save