Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LD12
Serial Port
Views: 5,147
Message 1 of 6

X1 Carbon: add WWAN card

How can I add a wireless card to the Carbon X1?  The original answer was "can't be done" becuase the computer is a sealed case and has no capability for it.  I call BS!!  The computer obviously has a slot for it, a Sim card holder, and the option to order it from the factory with wireless.  How to add wireless to a non-wireless Carbon X1?  

Moderator note: edited subject to match content.  Was:  Docking stations for X1 Carbon.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,140
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 Carbon: add WWAN card

You don't say which generation X1C you have, but AFAIK you can add a WWAN card.  Instructions are in the Hardware Maintenance Manual for your particular model.

The challenge will be antennas if they aren't already installed, and finding a card that passes the BIOS whitelist.

This isn't something I can address in detail, but if you'll list your MT-M - like 20FB002SUS as an example of a WWAN-upgradable unit - others will probably be able to help.  (Upgradable means that the antennas are already in place.)

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

LD12
Serial Port
Views: 5,034
Message 3 of 6

It is a Gen 2 Carbon X1.  Does it go under the keyboard?  Where are the installation instructions?  

theistus
Paper Tape
Views: 4,992
Message 4 of 6

page 59 details the wwan card.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1carbon_2_hmm_sp40a26110.pdf

as mentioned previously, you'll need to find one that will pass the bios whitelist, which hopefuly would be the same oem card that is used in 2nd gen x1's that came with it stock.

Antenna's can be purchased but routing them properly will likely be a PITA.

LD12
Serial Port
Views: 4,983
Message 5 of 6

I just put the Sierra Wireless WWAN card into my friend's P50.  It was easy; now my wife wants one in her Carbon X1.

So what card to order?  The antennas are already routed (see picture).  In theory, all I have to do is find the right card and plug it in.  How to find that "right card"?  

I'd rather order directly from Lenovo, but is this the right card?  

https://www.ebay.com/p/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-Wireless-WiFi-WWAN-Card-04W3786/1738412363

Does anyone have the lenovo link to the right card?  I would prefer to order directly from Lenovo, if possible.  

FYI, I'm on the Verizon system (US), if that makes a difference.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,970
Message 6 of 6

LD12,

if you need 3G (CDMA 1xRTT/EV-DO) and LTE service from Verizon the only wwan card x1c gen2 (MT 20A7, 20A8) compatible with is Sierra em7355 (Gobi 5000), Lenovo service p/n (FRU) 04W3801. You might need to activate it to work with Verizon.

There is another compatible FRU 04X6038. Some manuals claims it's a package of wwan modem em7355 and 3FF SIM (Verizon).

The card on the photo you've linked isn't compatible with x1c gen2.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors