Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reamaya
Paper Tape
Views: 524
Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon change Machine Type 20FB 20FC

Hi,

I bought an X1 Carbon 20FB a few days ago.

Since I want to use it for work, I need to change the machine type from 20FB to 20FC.

Does anybody know a way to change machine type?

I tried already the bios update utility but it only allows to change the machine serial number, not the machine type.

Thank you!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 519
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon change Machine Type 20FB 20FC

Hello and welcome to the Community

Let me ask you - why do you need this operation? Machine-Type means "laptop platform". I hope you haven't replaced the systemboard in new machine.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

reamaya
Paper Tape
Views: 470
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I need to install an HDD image that my company has for all lenovo approved machines. Since the model 20FB is not approved by my company (it´s a German Company), I need to change it for 20FC because the network installer will not accept a different model. Currently I reviewed all the specs and it is completely the same machine.

I hope this change is possible, because if not I will only be able to use it for personal stuff.

Thank you,

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 467
Message 4 of 5

Good day.

It may well be easier to ask you company's IT group to add 20FB to the approved machine list.

There is no way for end-users to change the machine type-model number. Only authorized service providers are able to do that, and they may not agree to doing it for the reason you have. The process is normally done only when system boards are replaced.

Edit to add: I'm actually a bit surprised that you were able to change a S/N on the machine, but I haven't looked at the BIOS flash utility options on some of the newest machines.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

reamaya
Paper Tape
Views: 446
Message 5 of 5

Hi, 

Thank you again for the time. First, I will ask a local ibm dealer to see if they are available to do so. If not, I will ask my company It department. I am really sorry that I can not do this myself.

For your note, yes!  the Bios Update Utility allows you to change serial number.

Have a great day!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors