Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

04-16-2013

North Carolina

10 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon external display problem. X1 to projection screens.

2013-05-14, 20:23 PM

My X1 Carbon, with Windows 7, works just fine with my work/home monitors. I use Display Port to VGA at home, Dsiplay Port to DVI at work.

But on two consecutive weeks I've gotten up to do a presentation and connected using a Display Port to VGA connection to a conference projection system and the X1 Carbon was undetected. I changed the screen resolution. I pressed F7 and tried Duplicate and Projector Only. Did not work. I rebooted. Did not work.

If it was just one conference that would be understandable. In both cases on exactly the same VGA cable a Mac worked and a PC worked. But because my computer has special fonts etc the presentation looked bad.

I've done Google searches etc to identify if there is anything at all I can do to figure out what's up. I've run Lenovo System Update. But sitll no positive outcome.

Do you have a pointer for me as to how to fix the issue?

Thank you.

Options

2 Posts

11-21-2013

SF Bay Aera

3 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon external display problem. X1 to projection screens.

2013-11-21, 18:12 PM

Yup,

Just happened to me too on my brand new Yoga 2 Pro, with micro-hdmi connection .  It is really frustrating and embarrasing to fumble a presentation because your computer won't talk to your projector.  A solution would be much appreciated!

Options

8 Posts

04-16-2013

North Carolina

10 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 3 of 5

2013-11-22, 1:39 AM

I've tried lots of different options : (, and in the end the only solution that works 100% of the tiem is to use the StarTech USB to VGA Adapter: http://goo.gl/Oqq2fn

I had to try three different USB to VGA adapters (including from Plugable and others), sadly they are a hit and a miss. The StarTech one, for whatever reason, always works.

Options

3 Posts

05-02-2014

Germany

3 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 4 of 5

2014-05-02, 15:52 PM

My boss has the same problem and, as said before, it's really embarrassing. We ordered for her a thinkpad and especially the premium X1 to avoid those things. You should expect that business machines can reliable handle one of their main purposes...

It might be possible, that the new Lenovos (we have similar problems with a brand new, fully updated X240) cant handle miniDP to VGA cable with only 14 pins and use the (often) missing Pin 9 for identifying the output device. 

I cant tell it with certainty because I could only test these two setups:

X1->miniDP-> VGA (long cable, 14Pin) = NO connection

X1->miniDP-> VGA (short cable, 15Pin) = successful connection

X240->miniDP-> VGA (long cable, 14Pin) = NO connection 

X240->native VGA port -> VGA (long cable, 14Pin) = successful connection

X1->miniDP -> VGA (SHORT cable, 14Pin) = NO connection

X240->miniDP-> VGA (SHORT cable, 14Pin) = successful connection 

X240->native VGA port -> VGA (SHORT cable, 14Pin) = successful connection

changing the display resolution like explained here didn't help me.

Would be nice if Lenovo looked into it, since many locations where you have to present still have fixed not changeable analog vga cables 

Options

216 Posts

05-02-2013

United States of America

312 Signins

2083 Page Views

• Views: 2083
  • Message 5 of 5

2014-06-03, 13:19 PM

Question to all posting here with display output issues.  Do you also have the Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock for the X1 Carbons and therefore the DisplayPort software required to run the USB3 Model Dock?  That would explain the external HDMI and MiniDP ports not working.

My question is why when I use the new OneLink Pro dock that does not require the DisplayLink Drivers at all, do all the MiniDP and(Apple Brand) and two different Lenovo HDMI to VGA adapters CH580 and the included w the X1 Carbon Adapter LT8511 compress everything, including the screen to 1024 x 768 when connected to any projector or TV? Is that the Automatic VGA Switch box in our tables or the adapters?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms