Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kandroski
Paper Tape
Views: 383
Message 1 of 6

X1 Carbon external monitors turn off

My X1 Carbon has 2 monitors connected through hdmi to a Dell dock. After about a minute or two of inactivity the monitors turn off. They go blank and loose signal. If I wait too long to wake with the wireless mouse or keyboard I have to open the laptop and hit the power button to turn back on. I have checked the power management options and set everything to stay on no matter what. 

Anyone have and any ideas?

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 345
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 Carbon external monitors turn off

That could be due to you are using a Dell docking station when you are supposed to use a Lenovo one since dell one isn't meant to be used on a Lenovo one due to features and hardware is different so try getting a Lenovo one and see how it works then. Dell one is meant and built for Dell devices only so that's also a reason to why it isn't propertly working well.

Kandroski
Paper Tape
Views: 337
Message 3 of 6

The dell dock is compatible with dell and non dell machines. Maybe this is just an issue on the Lenovo side preventing full compatibility. Unfortunately I needed it the same day and non of my local big box retailers have Lenovo docks in stock. 

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 333
Message 4 of 6

i doubt it is compatible with non dells since most of times when manufactures do docking stations they only make them compatible with their own laptops only so yeah i still dont think it is compatible with non-dells if you get lenovo one i bet issue will go away since it's because dell one isn't compatible with lenovo so thats still probably the issue.

Kandroski
Paper Tape
Views: 328
Message 5 of 6

This is straight from dell.

"The Dell Dock provides a common docking experience for both Dell and non-Dell platforms via Display Port over USB Type-CTM, ensuring a reliable connection and crisp display. The dock connects with a single cable, freeing up space on your desk and in your workspace with the added ability to mount behind a monitor or on your desk. Great for presentations, the small and compact Dell Dock enables fast, efficient connectivity to multiple displays and all your everyday peripherals through one convenient cable. "

So im pretty sure it is compatible. 

Where is is a link to it if you want to review. 

http://www.frys.com/product/8807902?site=srSmiley FrustratedEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 326
Message 6 of 6

well then idk since it's rare that a docking station from a manufacture such dell or so would allow non-dell to use it so thats probably why still they allow non-dells yes but it's more of an Use it at your own risk so if you got problems dell will not fix or solve it for you since they don't actually support non-dell models so yeah :/ atm clueless about this.7

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors