Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sammeh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,198
Message 1 of 8

X1 Carbon fan always on

I have two gen 2 X1 carbons, one with an i5 4200u (8GB RAM) and the other is i5 4210u (4GB RAM). The 4210u one, when not doing anything very intensive, is completely silent. I can put the vent up against my ear and hear nothing at all - the fan is off. The 4200u is not the same. When it boots off, the fan is off. It will stay off for about 30 seconds and then start up. It's very quiet but I don't see why it's on at all. It should be off, all it's doing is wasting power. Why is it that the 4210u stays off until I'm doing something intensive but the 4200u is always on? The 4210u is 100Mhz faster but they have the same TDP. Is there something I forgot to install after updating to Windows 10 that tells the fan to shut up when not doing much?

Thanks for any help

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,162
Message 2 of 8

Re: X1 Carbon fan always on

Typically the cause of the fan coming on early is dust, so make sure to check all the vents, and use some canned air and a vacuum to clean the vents well as possible.     The fan itself is beneath the vents on the bottom, so make sure to vacuum and blow those out thoroughly. 

Over time the thermal paste that transfers the heat from the CPU to the heatsink can degrade and may need to be replaced, but that would involve removing the base cover, and if a problem would probably have the fan running very loudly.

Sammeh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,153
Message 3 of 8

I checked the heatsink and fan, perfectly free from dust, not a spec I can see.

The thermal paste is in good shape, I changed it with some MX-4, same issue. 

The i4200u also seems to be eating the battery faster which is odd.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,150
Message 4 of 8

Check your startup items, you may have some background tasks that are using the CPU and thus causing it to get warm, which of course would make the CPU fan run.

Task Manager is one tool, or you can use a tool from Microsoft's Sysinternals called Autoruns, but be careful to make a System Restore point, and note of any items you disable so you can reverse them if needed.  

Autoruns for Windows v13.62

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Sammeh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,147
Message 5 of 8

I'm always very careful with what I allow to run at startup. It's also a fresh Windows 10 install (only a few days old). It hardly has any programs on it that could be causing it. I disable most startup things in task manager.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,136
Message 6 of 8

Hard to say, it sounds like you have covered most of the steps I would already.....Did you update all of the Power Management and Intel Chipset drivers etc.?   You might run the Thinkvatange System Update tool and see if there are any drivers you missed.

Sammeh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,106
Message 7 of 8

Yeah, I think it's odd. I've had the two of them run a battery eater pro run through (on the reader setting. Not the high intensity one). They both have the Lenovo settings open, both are playing youtube videos, both have task manager open, both have screens on at 75% brightness. 

4200u: Running for 2 hours 50 minutes so far, on 45% battery. The app thinkgs it can do a total of 5 hours 20 minutes

4210u: Running for 4 hours 43 minutes so far, on 21% battery. The app thinks it can do a total of 6 hours.

Both laptops were on High performance mode for a bit, then switched to balanced. The 4210u spent longer on high performance (wouldn't have thought that would make a big difference though as it's not doing anything very intensive).

As for the fan thing, I've just picked up the 4200u and it's fan seems to be off. The CPU is sitting around 5% at 0.9Ghz. It seems to like kicking the fan on much earlier than the 4210u though. I noticed that on the 4200u heatsink, there is a wire going to the fins on it. Do you know if this is a thermometer? I haven't checked the 4210u but I guess that either the thermometer is more sensitive or the firmware in the earlier model is telling it to kick in earlier. That is of course if it is a thermometer.

freedsap
Paper Tape
Views: 1,019
Message 8 of 8

I have a brand new X1 carbon with fan always on and noisy and computer only at idle with no activity. lenovo replaced the fan , then the motherboard today! and nothing changes
very upset and still searching for an answer on this forum. Any official feedback from lenovo?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors