Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dmahoney1170
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,136
Message 1 of 17

X1 Carbon gen 3 doesn't go to sleep when I close the laptop after bios update

Anyone else seeing this?  I'm connected to a Onlink Pro dock.  After upgrading to the latest BIOS version I am no longer able to put the system to sleep by closing the laptop.  The monitors connected to my dock continue to display and the laptop does not enter sleep mode.  

hacho44
What's DOS?
Views: 1,072
Message 2 of 17

Re: X1 Carbon gen 3 doesn't go to sleep when I close the laptop after bios update

After the recent BIOS update my carbon x1 does no longer go to sleep after closing the lid
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,063
Message 3 of 17

Re: X1 Carbon gen 3 doesn't go to sleep when I close the laptop after bios update

My X1 Carbon 3rd-gen still had BIOS 1.16, so I did a quick check to make sure that closing the lid makes it enter sleep mode.  I tried it while connected to OneLink dock also.  No problems.

Then I updated to BIOS 1.17, and I see same thing as you.  We will investigate it.  Sorry for this trouble.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,059
Message 4 of 17

Matt,

I con confirm the issue. There is a lot of ThinkPad laptops with sleep issue - Intel ME fw or PM driver related, not understandable yet.
Just check out the event log.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

k9gardner
Paper Tape
Views: 305
Message 5 of 17

Did this ever get resolved? I recently took in an X1 Carbon 3rd gen and am having this problem.
andyhddvd
Paper Tape
Views: 181
Message 6 of 17

My X1 Gen 3 started doing this earlier this year, which may indeed match the timing of a BIOS update. I am running BIOS v1.29.

andyhddvd
Paper Tape
Views: 179
Message 7 of 17

Using History in the Vantage app, I now see that I was running BIOS 1.14 originally, then I upgraded to 1.29  few months ago, which matches when this quit working. Is there any way to go "backwards" in BIOS versions?

andyhddvd
Paper Tape
Views: 151
Message 8 of 17

Its been two years since Lenovo "will investigate", and there have been nine BIOS updates in that time. Will we ever get this fixed?
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 149
Message 9 of 17

This issue was caused by BIOS Update program accidently changing the lid close action to "Do Nothing".  We fixed this back in 2017.  There were several forum threads about this issue and I guess I forgot to reply to this one.  Sorry about that.

Please check if this can fix the problem:

1.  Open Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options

2.  Click on "Change Plan Settings" for whatever the active power plan is

3.  Click on "Restore default settings for this plan"

k9gardner
Paper Tape
Views: 147
Message 10 of 17

I don't think it's due to 1.29... I just confirmed that I'm running 1.27, and have been having this same problem since I acquired this Gen 3 a few months ago. I don't want to touch a thing until I see that someone has a solution! 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors