cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyhddvd
Paper Tape
Views: 311
Message 11 of 17

Re: X1 Carbon gen 3 doesn't go to sleep when I close the laptop after bios update

I had already checked that, did not help.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 296
Message 12 of 17

Re: X1 Carbon gen 3 doesn't go to sleep when I close the laptop after bios update

I checked my X1 Carbon 3rd which still had BIOS 1.27.  When I closed the lid, it went to sleep.  Open the lid, it woke up.  Then I ran Vantage and updated to BIOS 1.29, but it's still working.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility that your lid-close sensor is broken?  To test this, you would need to run a magnet along the top of the screen, the sensor is approx 1 inch to the left of the camera.  If the sensor is working, you should see the screen turn off when it is triggered by the magnet.

k9gardner
Paper Tape
Views: 291
Message 13 of 17

I have read probably a hundred messages on this topic and yours is the first to suggest this... and you're right! The laptop did go to sleep when I placed a magnet over that spot on the lid. Amazing! So then I took the tip of my scissors (steel) and lightly slid across the area where the corresponding magnet must be in the base, and I heard a clicking sound every time I passed that spot. I tried closing the lid after that, and it worked; went to sleep on close, woke on open.

Then I carefully "banged it around" a little on each edge to simulate everyday jostling, tried it again, and it didn't go to sleep immediately; but pressing down on the lid did put it to sleep. Later today I'll open it up and see if removing the bottom panel allows me access to that area; maybe it's a simple matter of something having come detached from where it belongs. We'll see! 

But thank you so much for thinking outside the box, at least in my specific case. I am eagerly awaiting replies from others chasing after software solutions for this seeming hardware problem! Thanks.

k9gardner
Paper Tape
Views: 273
Message 14 of 17

Opened up the bottom case, and found... a loose magnet! I glued it into position, being careful to tuck the slender wires back into the carefully-engineered channels they're intended to ride in, closed the panel back up again, and voila! Everything works as intended. 

Thanks so much for this easy and non-BIOS-related fix! If this turns out to be an achilles heel for this model of computer, so be it. I'm sure it will nevertheless make people happy to know that the fix is a little dab of super glue, and not a painful attempt to reverse a BIOS update. 

Thank you, again.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 260
Message 15 of 17

@k9gardner wrote:

Opened up the bottom case, and found... a loose magnet! I glued it into position, being careful to tuck the slender wires back into the carefully-engineered channels they're intended to ride in, closed the panel back up again, and voila! Everything works as intended. 

Wow, great repair work!  I'm so glad you were able to fix this.

k9gardner
Paper Tape
Views: 255
Message 16 of 17

Not gladder than me! Smiley Happy
andyhddvd
Paper Tape
Views: 203
Message 17 of 17

That was it! I did the magnet test and sure enough, it went to sleep, so I carefully opened it and could see the magnet was floating around, not in the location it should be. The double sided tape that holds it in place had no stick, so I put some fresh tape on there, put the magnet back where it should be and its all awesome now. Thanks everyone! Here is a pic of the spot where the magnet is supposed to be, and the magnet itself before I fixed it.magnet.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors