cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mschaffer
Not applicable
Views: 5,921
Message 1 of 15

X1 Carbon gen 4 and Sierra Wireless EM7455 WWAN problems after hibernate (Win 7)

Hello.

I just received my X1 Carbon gen. 4 laptop with a factory installed Sierra Wireless EM7455 WWAN card and provisioned with Windows 7.  Unfortunately, I have a very persistent and annoying problem.

Almost every time it resumes from hibernate mode the WWAN card device fails to restart---the Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A QDLoader Port has an error: "This device cannot start. (code 10)" as reported by the Device Manager.

I have updated the drivers to the latest version  on the support site (version 7.26.4539.0105 of the Sierra Wireless Lenovo Mobile Broadband Driver Package/Device driver version 16.3.1005.41)

Any thoughts?

mschaffer
Not applicable
Views: 5,820
Message 2 of 15

Re: X1 Carbon gen 4 and Sierra Wireless EM7455 WWAN problems after hibernate (Win 7)

So, does everyone's EM7455 run perfectly under Windows 7? Am I the only one with this problem?
x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 5,812
Message 3 of 15

Re: X1 Carbon gen 4 and Sierra Wireless EM7455 WWAN problems after hibernate (Win 7)

Hello

em7455 is a stable enough modem, especially with the recent firmware. Check out its version:
- open the command prompt window (cmd)
- execute the following command
netsh mbn sh int

Post here the fw value.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

mschaffer
Not applicable
Views: 5,793
Message 4 of 15

@x220forme wrote:
Hello

em7455 is a stable enough modem, especially with the recent firmware. Check out its version:
- open the command prompt window (cmd)
- execute the following command
netsh mbn sh int

Post here the fw value.

Hello,

The firmware version is: SWI9X30C_02.08.02.00

Highlighted
x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 5,784
Message 5 of 15

Fw is very old, as well the cellular operator (Verizon?) provisioning file, I assume.

Despite the recent drivers have been installed and the recent fw presence in its package, current or preferred fw hasn't been flashed or selected due to default settings in the drivers installation configuration.ini file.

Did you choose the fw update option during drivers installation process? I don't remember clear but there might be such installer feature. Do you have operator's SIM card? Has the SIM card been inserted in the laptop' tray during drivers installation?

Anyway, you might apply new fw depending on your skills by:
- drivers reinstallation using modified settings in the .ini file
- manually, using appropriate tool in the drivers package
- using AT commands via modem virtual com-port if the fw has been loaded in the auto mode but not applied by some reason.

To make sure of the detailed modem configuration DM port is needed. Check it out in the Device Manager under Ports category. Are you friendly a bit with AT commands? Do you have terminal tool installed?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

mschaffer
Not applicable
Views: 5,779
Message 6 of 15

@x220forme wrote:
Fw is very old, as well the cellular operator (Verizon?) provisioning file, I assume.

Despite the recent drivers have been installed and the recent fw presence in its package, current or preferred fw hasn't been flashed or selected due to default settings in the drivers installation configuration.ini file.

Did you choose the fw update option during drivers installation process? I don't remember clear but there might be such installer feature. Do you have operator's SIM card? Has the SIM card been inserted in the laptop' tray during drivers installation?

Anyway, you might apply new fw depending on your skills by:
- drivers reinstallation using modified settings in the .ini file
- manually, using appropriate tool in the drivers package
- using AT commands via modem virtual com-port if the fw has been loaded in the auto mode but not applied by some reason.

To make sure of the detailed modem configuration DM port is needed. Check it out in the Device Manager under Ports category. Are you friendly a bit with AT commands? Do you have terminal tool installed?

I use this card with an AT&T SIM card.  The SIM card was in place while I updated the firmware. (Shoudl it not be?)  When I installed the new driver, I assume the firware was updated as there was a pop-up that showed the progress of the firmware install.  It went to 100% and did not throw a visible error.  However, I had to shut down the laptop completely (i.e. via the BIOS turn off the battery option) to force this to happen.

I had not looked at the options in the .ini file, but after looking at it seems straightforward to attempt to force it to install the firmware.  Also, I just looked at the files that came rolled-up inside the driver executable.  (My goodness over 350MB of firmware images!)  But, I have no idea what utilites are present to pick specific firmware to download to the modem.

Regarding AT commands, I haven't played with them for at least a decade, but I do work with serial ports (real and virtual) all of the time.

If you have any suggestions, I am very interested.

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 5,775
Message 7 of 15

This modem allows to store several different fw images and operators profiles inside, simultaneously. One pair of them is preferred, its selection might depend on the lot of settings and commands. According to your replay, most likely, modem has both old and new fw images stored.

The recent package you've installed includes almost newest fw image SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00.cwe and AT&T profile SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00_ATT_002.019_000.nvu (find out the folder where the drivers have been installed and an Image subfolder inside).

Open the terminal tool and type in the following commands (use Modem port for that):
AT!IMAGE?
AT!GOBIIMPREF?
AT!PRIID?

Copy and past the outputs here.

mschaffer
Not applicable
Views: 5,764
Message 8 of 15

What baud rate should the serial port be set to?  I do not seem be be able to connect to the port.  The NMEA port seems to be working just fine---streams all of the NMEA codes at 9600 baud (as it should).

Anyhow, I was able to download the SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00 firmware.  I will try this out to see it how the EM7455 behaves.  I will let you know how it works out...

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 5,751
Message 9 of 15

Such serial ports utilize standard settings:
115200/8/1/non stop bit, NMEA - 2400-9600.
Try to connect to the port in the Modems category.

If you used fdt.exe tool to flash the modem, did you add the key -impref and appropriate fw images name?

mschaffer
Not applicable
Views: 5,733
Message 10 of 15

@x220forme wrote:
Such serial ports utilize standard settings:
115200/8/1/non stop bit, NMEA - 2400-9600.
Try to connect to the port in the Modems category.

If you used fdt.exe tool to flash the modem, did you add the key -impref and appropriate fw images name?

It's strange.  One of the terminal programs doesn't even see the two EM7455 ports.  The other one doesn't get any response from the AT commands.

I used the fdt tool as:

fdt.exe -d g5k -ignswto -f  CweFileName.cwe NvuFileName.nvu

where CweFileName was SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00 and NvuFileName was SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00_GENERIC_002.017_000.

So far the EM7455 seems to be behaving.  It has successfully resumed 3 out of 3.  It will probably get a few more chances as our power has been out since early this morning. (Someone hit a utility pole up the road and took the transformer with it---so lot's of hibernating to conserve battery power.)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors