cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celhendyl
Paper Tape
Views: 1,721
Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon: how to find Windows 10 serial key if I need a new installation?

Hello,

I've a Lenovo laptop X1 Carbon.

I was wondering: in case of a big issue with my Laptop like impossibility to start Windows 10,

how can I make a new Windows 10 installation? Where I find my Windows 10 serial number?

I found on this forum that we can go to Lenovo Center Solution > recovery but in these case you thing that

your customer has always acces to his Windows 10 desktop, exact?

Thanks for your help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,707
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon: how to find Windows 10 serial key if I need a new installation?

Hi

1. you don't need win10 key for OS activation, it's stored in the BIOS and applied automatically once OEM image with the same reduction (as it was factory preloaded) installed

2. you can
2.1 install the OS from the scratch, the same reduction as preloaded
2.2. create win10 recovery media from your existing system
2.3. or download recovery image from Lenovo site and create recovery USB drive
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Celhendyl
Paper Tape
Views: 1,653
Message 3 of 5

Thanks a lot for this information.

Regards,

Dominique

Highlighted
fen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,544
Message 4 of 5

I am receiving my X1 Carbon 6th generation today (says UPS) and will be installing Xubuntu 18.04 on it. As it has Windows 10 installed (and thus I own a copy of Windows 10) I would like to create a VM (with VirtualBox) to run that Windows 10 so that I can test websites in Windows when necessary (I find in my job I need to do this rarely, but say once a month or so).

So I don't want dual boot, nor do I want to run Xubuntu in a VM under Windows.

My "old" machine - a T520 - came with the Windows license key under the battery. I hear that the current license key is in BIOS, but that likely won't be accessible from the VM.

How can I install my new Windows 10 - pre-installed on the X1 - into a VM? Where can I find the key?

fen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,536
Message 5 of 5

Received the X1 Carbon. Not sure but I think I want to download the recovery USB from Lenovo Digital Download Recovery Service (DDRS). Will this include the Windows License Key and be all I need to install Windows in a VM?

I only want to run one copy of Windows, but I want to run it in a VM under Linux. Why should this be so hard? (It used to be that you'd get the license key, and activation was limited to once per license which seemed to work well and not cause so many issues.)

Related: when starting the new X1, it wants me to agree to the Windows 10 License Agreement - is this "activation"? I understand that I *don't* want to activate Windows on the bare machine if I want to install the same Windows in a VirtualBox (is this correct)?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors