Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcburton99
What's DOS?
Views: 267
Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon lid closure not being detected

My X1 Carbon (model 20A7, 2nd generation I believe) suddenly stopped detecting closure of the lid.  Previously, when I close the lid, it would put the laptop into Sleep but now it just continues running.  I checked the Control Panels setting and it is still setup to go into Sleep when lid closure is detected so it seems it is smply not detecting it. 

In addition, I often work with this machine docked and previously when it was docked, it would not use the attached LCD screen but would only display on the two monitors I have attched to the Lenovo docking station.  Now, when I power up hte laptop on the docking station, it displays one monitor on the laptop LCD even though the lid is closed and only on one of the monitors attached to the docking station.  I fix this by going into the Control Panel -> Display where I know see three monitors (two external and once LCD on the laptop) and I can disable it from there, but I shouldn't have to do this everytime I dock. 

I don't see any mechanical switches to detect lid closure so it must be a magnetic detetion.  Any ideas on how to diagnose this?

Thanks,

Matt

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 228
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon lid closure not being detected

Do you have warranty remaining?  I don't have one here with me to try as I am out of town.  There is a magnet in the palmrest that triggers a Hall sensor in the lid.  My guess is that the sensor has failed, but it is impossible for me to be sure without seeing it. 

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mcburton99
What's DOS?
Views: 207
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon lid closure not being detected

Thank you for the reply!  Unfortujnately, yes, the warranty expired in January.  Looks like I will either need to live with it or send it to a repair center.  

Top Kudoed Authors