Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
treddy_kh
Paper Tape
Views: 182
Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon not compatible with Polycom Soundstation 2

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the problem of not being able to use X1 Carbon with Polycom Soundstation 2 (conference phone).

Although the cable between Polycom and Thinkpad is just a straightforward audio cable (to which I have, as suggested by Polycom vendor, added an adaptor to go from two plugs to one at the Thinkpad end), it seems not possible to have mic and speaker of the Polycom functioning if I plug in to do a Skype call from my laptop.

I have tried this on several X1s in our office and also had the Lenovo technician come and try it on his X1 and take it to his lab to try on another and he was also not able to solve the problem. I have replaced the adapter with a second one. I have plugged a mobile phone into the polycom and it's fine.

Has anyone got this to work? It seems a simple, driverless connection to make.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 161
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon not compatible with Polycom Soundstation 2

Hi treddy_kh, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

What happens when you plug a mobile phone headset into the X1 Carbon? Does it work (microphone and speakers)?

What happens when you plug a mobile phone into to the Polycom Soundstation 2? Does that work (microphone and speakers)?

If both those work, but Skype doesn't, it could be your choice of audio devices for Skype in Windows. Which Windows and Skype versions are you using?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
treddy_kh
Paper Tape
Views: 120
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon not compatible with Polycom Soundstation 2

Sorry for so long to respond - and this just partial - and thanks for your response. I'm travelling and not with the Polycom at the moment.

However we had previously done some such testing. When I plug a mobile phone headset into the X1 it works fine - mic and earphones.

Our usual mode of using the Polycom locally also involves us plugging a mobile phone into the Polycom, so this seems to work. I cannot say 100% that it's working for both mic and speakers as I'm not sure we've made a point to deliberately isolate the mobile phone's microphone to test that it's not just that device picking up the voices. Will test again when back at home.

However, your point re Skype settings is interesting. We use both Skype and Skype for Business, with the same problem. The Lenovo technician who came also used Vocie Recorder or similar to test. But the device settings for Skype audio are just the Speaker/HP (Realtek High Definition Audio) that is default. There is no special device for the Polycom as an option - which seemed right to me given it's just a simple audio cable?

The one other complicating factor is that the Polycom comes with a cable that has one jack for the Polycom and splits into two two-ring jacks for devices. For the Lenovo, we add an adaptor (we have tried two of them in case this was at fault) to convert to a single 3-ring pin.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors