Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Khiem
Not applicable
Views: 10,778
Message 1 of 9

X1 Carbon or X1 Yoga for gaming with eGPU

Hi everyone

I want to order a thinkpad x1 laptop that I can sometime use with an eGPU for gaming. I kinda favor the X1 yoga but heard that X1 Yoga is more prone to thermal throttling and heating than X1 carbon. Anyway, if anyone  already tried gaming on X1 yoga (6th gen) with an egpu, would you mind sharing your experience with me (especially in term of thermal throttling and heating).

Thanks

Saperkus
Not applicable
Views: 10,769
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Carbon or X1 Yoga for gaming with eGPU

To be honest, T480s would be even better, as according to tests, it's able to utilize CPU fully, thanks to good cooling system (make sure to get iGPU-only version though). And thanks to undervolting, you'll be able to elimimate throttling under prolonged load. You'll find more information in article below (both X1's were also tested):

https://www.notebookcheck.net/A-performance-comparison-of-all-new-ThinkPad-notebooks.286486.0.html

------
Khiem
Not applicable
Views: 10,759
Message 3 of 9

I'm considering the T480s too but doesn't like the fact that it only has one 2 lanes thunderbolt port. I kinda prefer not to use an external monitor so 2 lane thunderbolt is a no no for me.
yfnew
Not applicable
Views: 10,720
Message 4 of 9

I use Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box with my X1 Yoga 3rd gen. During stress tests and benchmarks, the CPU will start throttling after 97°C, but even then, the CPU can maintain at 2.7-2.9GHz.

I use the eGPU to mainly play World of Warships. I didn't run it with hardware temperatures or frequencies monitored, but I did not notice any sudden stuttering or lagging (which happened a lot with my old MacBook Pro because of throttling). Using internal display, I was able to get about 60-70 fps on High graphics settings at 1440p.

EDIT: I should also mention that when connected to eGPU, the charging port of my X1 Yoga will occasionally have coil whine, but the noise will disappear after about 5 minutes.

Khiem
Not applicable
Views: 10,711
Message 5 of 9

Thank you so much for your response. It's nice to know that x1 yoga 3rd gen is capable of handling some moderate gaming with egpu. If you don't mind, may I ask whether you are satisfied with your x1 yoga and how the iddle and normal operating temperature that you have experienced? 

Thanks

yfnew
Not applicable
Views: 10,698
Message 6 of 9

Right now the package temperature, on idle, is around 50°C. Room temperature is around 90°F or 32°C (It's a nightmare living in upstate NY in summer. Winter is also a nightmare but that's a different story). When I compile source codes using 8 threads, the CPU utilization will reach 100%, and the temperature will get to 97°C within 5 seconds. Then the frequency will stay at 3.0GHz for about 50 seconds (temperature stays at 97°C) and eventually drop to 2.6GHz. Then the temperature stays at 85°C. I think since one BIOS update, Lenovo changed the power policy so that the 44W power limit is short term, and the long term power limit becomes 17W, which is why core frequency becomes 2.6GHz after 40-50 seconds. Oh by the way, my CPU is i5-8350U.

Regarding this laptop, I like it overall, but there are some small issues. There is that occasional coil whine when connected to eGPU I mentioned earlier. The fingerprint scanner needs driver updates to work semi-properly (still not as good as my X1 Carbon 5th Gen). There is a small crackling noise in the 3.5mm headphone jack once in a while since either a Windows update or a driver update. It can probably be fixed with another driver update, but it's a bit annoying. The keyboard feedback isn't as good as my X1 Carbon Gen 5. It's still better than most other laptops, but comparing to my X1 Carbon, key travel seems shorter, and it feels mushier. Finally, since Windows April Update, the color profile feature for HDR screen stopped working. Lenovo promised a driver update that will fix this issue, but that hasn't happened yet. Also, the HDR screen is currently not HDR capable, since Lenovo has yet to provide the DolbyVision program.

This seems like a long issue list, but they are just small issues, and again, overall I am still satisfied with this laptop.
Khiem
Not applicable
Views: 10,686
Message 7 of 9

Wow. Thank you so much for your detailed response. 

I actually ordered the i-8350U too and 50°C iddle is actually higher than I expected Smiley Sad. I have an ASUS Zenbook 3 Deluxe i-8550U which is much thinner than this one and it's iddling at around 38°C. My Asus Zenbook once hit 3.0 GHz would drop to around 1.8 GHz even though the temperature never gone above 80°C (i did undervolt it a little bit to achieve this temp though). That's why I want to return my heavily discounted Asus Zenbook even though it has much higher specs and cost $450 less than my future customized X1 Yoga. Hopefully it would be possible to achieve a stable 3.0 GHz on X1 Yoga with some undervolting.

Anyway, Lenovo betta finds some ways to fix the crackling sound, coil whine and fingerprint scanner. I'm paying a premium price for a premium laptop so at least it should work as advertised. I'm too poor to afford a HDR screen so one less thing to worry about. 

Again, thank you so much for your response. 

changsta2004
Not applicable
Views: 10,586
Message 8 of 9

I use the x1 Carbon 6th gen with the same Aorus 1080 box. If i'm running lower graphic games, I put my battery performance on lowest and CPU temps stay around the 70's. If I play higher end games like ROTR or GTA5, I have to change to better performance to best performance and I get CPU temps around 90-94 C. (2.6-3.0 GHz)
I've had CPU issues once, and undervolting didn't help for me. I am considering thermal paste.
Someone mentioned the t480s. I think that's the better option as well if you prefer eGPU over the better displays from the Yoga or Carbon. The t480s has much better cooling from what I've read/heard. Hope this helps
Khiem
Not applicable
Views: 10,581
Message 9 of 9

I know that t480s has many advantages over x1 carbon/yoga. However, I dislike the fact that it only has 1 thunderbolt 2 PCI lane :/. For now i gonna stick with the x1 and wait for a new Thinkpad T with 4 lanes Thunderbolt

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors