Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mahas999
Paper Tape
Views: 1,617
Message 1 of 6

X1 Carbon overheating

I have a 1st generation X1 carbon that was working just fine for three years. Since March, every time the processor exceeds ~20-30% usage, the system gets extremely hot - the base is too hot to touch, and the left half of the keyboard also gets very hot. I measured the core temperature : 

At <5% usage, average core temperature = ~45degC

At >30% usage, average core temperature = >85degC

At >50% usage, average core temperature = >92degC

I run the system on Win10 and I don't have any bloatware. I also don't have any malware and I use my system exclusively for work. I have been reporting this issue to the Lenovo Support/Service Center since March, with innumerable phone calls to them, sending e-mail reminders, chats with agents, and logging complaints again and again. The response I received is abysmal, and they have still not solved the issue - it has been six months now. The only things the support center has clearly established is that they are incompetent and unwilling to do anything to fix the matter. This is despite the fact that my system is under warranty.

Is there anything that I can do now to fix the problem I am facing? I welcome any-and-all suggestions.

Thank you.

Maha

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,600
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 Carbon overheating

It sounds like you need either a new fan or the old one reseated with fresh thermal paste.  If it is under warranty, they should do it.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lcarron
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,505
Message 3 of 6

yes you can blow high pressure air underneath the case and from the side where the heat exhaust is.

You will be surprise to see the amount of collected dust.

mahas999
Paper Tape
Views: 1,462
Message 4 of 6

Hello richk,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Yes, I have tried that - fresh thermal paste with the old fan and Lenovo has also replaced the fan. I believe it is a refurbished fan - I got to know from Lenovo Support that they do not replace the parts with new ones, even if the system is under warranty. Anyway, neither option worked, and I am still facing the issue.

If there is anything else that I can ask them to try, please share your suggestion with me.

Maha

mahas999
Paper Tape
Views: 1,460
Message 5 of 6

Thanks lcarron,

Yes, usually there is dust in laptops. However, in this case, I keep my system very clean. Luckily, my office is also dust free.

Particularly, after I started facing the problem, the Lenovo personnel have already opened my laptop over a dozen times. They found no dust inside.

Please share any other suggestion that you can think of. I am desperate to get this issue resolved. It has become quite annoying.

Thanks!
Maha
nebojsa973
What's DOS?
Views: 1,061
Message 6 of 6

Hello Maha, I got the same issue since a month ago. Did you manage to resolve it? If yes, please share how.

Kind regards,

Nebojsa

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors