Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Titanium_VT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,431
Message 1 of 11

X1 Carbon random screen glitches and crashes

My X1 Carbon arrived tonight. I'm seeing random screen glitches (bars of flashing colors and sometimes numbers) in various places on the display whether I'm in windows or the opening Lenovo setup screen, and multiple operating system crashes.

Beautiful laptop, but not at all impressed with the initial out of the box experience. Is this a known driver issue, and is there a fix? Any suggestions on next steps to resolve it? Thanks in advance for any help!

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 4,422
Message 2 of 11

Re: X1 Carbon random screen glitches and crashes

you have a faulty LCD screen or loose LCD connection. Call in to warranty and ask for replacement, or you can ask them to repair it.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Titanium_VT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,418
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the quick reply, lead_org.

Ughhh...I was afraid it would turn out to be a hardware issue. Dammit. So unimpressed Lenovo shipped me a system with such an obvious problem...How could this have gotten past their initial quality control?!

I'll contact warranty service and hope there's an easy fix. Thank you!

Views: 4,404
Message 4 of 11

it probably passed the initial QC fine, but the shipping may have induced the problem.

Probably just need to reset the cable on the screen.
Regards,

Jin Li

Titanium_VT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,284
Message 5 of 11

I spoke to Lenovo tech support last night. We installed the most up to date graphics driver from Intel, all of the latest Lenovo drivers, and did a full Windows Update. Unfortunately none of the updates fixed the problem, so it seems to reinforce that this is a hardware issue.

So now, I have the option of shipping the unit back to Lenovo and getting a new replacement unit built and shipped from China. That will probably take 3 weeks. The other option would be to take the system into a tech depot and have them try to fix it.

Is resetting the cable on the screen something that's straightforward to do?  I'm assuming it's not something I can do myself, but if an authorized service shop can do it easily, it might be a faster route to get to a working system.

The operating system crashes are disconcerting. I'm hoping they're directly related to the loose/damaged display cable, and not indicative of additional problems with the machine.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,279
Message 6 of 11

reseating the cable may be straightforward, but opening the X1C case for anything and having something go sour might put your warranty at risk. there are no customer serviceable parts inside the case for this model.

just an fyi...

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Views: 4,273
Message 7 of 11

Personally i think shipping back and getting a new unit would be the better alternative here. But that is from my own experience.
Regards,

Jin Li

Titanium_VT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,254
Message 8 of 11

sarbin, lead-org, thank you both for sharing your perspectives and guidance.

I'll follow your advice and send my X1 back for a new replacement unit. Really appreciate your help in troubleshooting this issue. All the best!

pieceofmind7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,833
Message 9 of 11

Seems like a common issue many are reporting even with the new X1. I found a video posted that exactly illustrates the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEexUDtava0.

After Windows and drivers updates, the issue persisted. Last thing I tried was go into the graphic properties > power > on battery and disabled "Panel Self-Refresh". I haven't noticed the issue since and makes sense this would cause the symptom. It's hard to tell since the problem was random, see if this works for you.

pieceofmind7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,794
Message 10 of 11

After disabling "Panel Self-Refresh", problem still came back the next day Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors