Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DOGGONE
Punch Card
Views: 715
Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon type 20BS Hangs at RESTART after SW Update

X1 Hangs on restart after a software update:  Windows 10, Norton, Lenovo, etc.

After several forced power-offs (holding the power button) the X1 again reboots, with sometimes the update intact or as todays failure, Norton was being updated and my Norton is no longer installed.  This is the 2nd time this has happened to the Norton install.  Usually the Windows Update is in place after I finially get the X1 to boot normally to my Windows 10 install.

I have removed the docking attachment before the restart to see if this helps, but it does not seem to help.  I have both attahced the HDD or removed it, but that too does not seem to prevent the problem.

Is this an SSD bug?

X1:  SSD 256 GB

Docking Attachment

1 TB HDD USB 3.0 with backup copies

MS Windows 10 (current version, (its updates have caused restart hangs also))

Image size:   Used Space 60.2 GB

Free Space:  36.7 GB

Capacity:  97.0 GB

Regards, DOGGONE

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 664
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon type 20BS Hangs at RESTART after SW Update

When you restart after it hangs, do you get a windows recovery screen?  Can you get to "last known good"?  Can you hit F10 at startup to get diagnostics?  I would like to rule out SSD and memory errors.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Highlighted
DOGGONE
Punch Card
Views: 626
Message 3 of 5

When it hangs, I get a continouse "dotted circle".  After forced power off by holding the power button, I sometimes get the recovery option.

I have nevered tried the F10 to get out of it.  I have tried the "enter key" to interrupt the boot.

To get it to recover, I try multiple forced power offs until it once again boots to an almost normal Windows 10 install.

DOGGONE
Punch Card
Views: 577
Message 4 of 5

This POST was restarted in the:

English Community, Special Interest Discussions, General Discussion -- Has been removed

With the same title.

Mod's Comment: Please do not start multiple posts on same issue as this only splinters the discussion. Instead, keep your current discussion updated with any additional information. This forum is the best venue for the issue you are having.  Your duplicate has been removed. Thanks !

DOGGONE
Punch Card
Views: 547
Message 5 of 5

I have had two sucessfull SW update of Microsoft Windows.

Dated:  2/26/17

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - February 2017 (KB890830)

Dated:  2/24/17

Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB4010250)

At no time was a RESTART requested.  So I am not sure that this type of SW update would expose the problem that I've been having:  Software Updates that require a RESTART.

CORRECTION:  SSD SIZE IS 128 GB vs. 256 GB

Regards, DOGGONE

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors