Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmj
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,207
Message 1 of 6

X1 Carbon won't boot when connected to network via OneLink+ dock/ethernet

The problem at hand is well described by another user: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=66&topicid=181294

The problem was mentioned here, some three weeks ago: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tp02_en/message-id/74532#M74532

As of February 20, 2017, the problem still persists. Not just with one single installation, but at two different locations using different OneLink+ docking units.

Problem applies to a brand-new (Jan 2017) ThinkPad X1 Carbon (type 20FB) hooked up to a OneLink+ Dock (part # 40A40090EU). Running Win10 Pro/64. I've got two OneLink+ units, both yield the same result.

The laptop will boot just fine when it is not connected to the dock, but when docked, it will not boot past the screen which says "press enter to access BIOS (...)" when the network cable is plugged into the docking station.  It boots just fine when the network cable is not plugged into the rear of the docking station. There's nothing special with the network or cable (works well with a myriad of other laptops) and the ThinkPad in question has the latest & greatest drivers installed.

If a docked boot has already taken place, plugging the ethernet cable into the dock works just fine.

In essence, the problem exists only when the ethernet cable is plugged in during boot.

Can someone from Lenovo please get in touch? There seems to be no other option to get in touch with Lenovo support. No, don't ask me to call a telephone number. My calendar says 2017 and I definitely except Lenovo to be able to handle electronic communication regarding support cases (the "Managed Technical Support Access" system doesn't work either - it responds with a totally irrelevant form and there is no way to actually enter a support request there).

tmj
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,105
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 Carbon won't boot when connected to network via OneLink+ dock/ethernet

There also seems to be reliability issues when connecting USB 2.0 devices to the OneLink+ dock.

Bottom line: the OneLink+ dock is just another crappy docking option. The idea is great (single connector for data, video and power) but the implementation and engineering fails miserably.

tmj
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,063
Message 3 of 6

...and no comments from Lenovo...

DHultqvist
What's DOS?
Views: 686
Message 4 of 6

It is now November and I still have this same problem...

tmj
Blue Screen Again
Views: 682
Message 5 of 6

Lenovo telephone support will, of course, be happy to answer your questions. That is, they'll walk you thru endless driver updates which are by no means related to this problem. It seems that Lenovo doesn't really care about this issue.

SPA
What's DOS?
Views: 624
Message 6 of 6

Ah nuts.  I was hoping to find an answer here as I have the same problem.  I tried updating the onelink+ driver and I got a cryptic error that says it needs to be elevated.  Anybody else have success?  And yes, my BIOS is up to date.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors