Did you mean: 
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 743
Message 51 of 103

Re: X1 EXTREME G1 - BIOS UPDATE 1.22 - SUPERVISOR PASSWORD BROKEN

@HawkeyeQ wrote:

Greetings.

I am facing the exact same problem after I updated to v.1.22 on my one week old P1.

My BIOS Supervisor Password no longer works.

I contacted Lenovo Support and, as expected, I received the typical reply:

"What we can suggest is we can examine machine at our Lenovo workshop /procedure takes up to 8 business days/ where we can provide a fee for the mother board replacement. Please advise if you wish an indicative quote or to book collection."

I really hope they come up with a fix soon because this "little" problem of theirs will impact the work-life of everyone in this thread.

In the meantime I sent them the link to this page so that they can see (duh) that this is an actual problem for many people.

Fingers crossed...

Did you communicate with Support in accordance with @Andy_Lenovo's advice in his post above?

"To anyone else who has experienced issues with the BIOS 1.22; as previously stated I recommend you contact support in your country location to request assistance and, please by all means, refer them to my posts in this topic."

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Message 52 of 103

@BrokenThinkpad wrote:

@AJH162 wrote:

Lol @ BrokenThinkpad.  I don't work for Lenovo, but I'm a senior engineer at a fairly large technology vendor.  I'm there guy that customer service is there to keep people off my back so I can actually fix problems.  Perhaps you should consider your own qualifications before proving yourself a fool.  Good luck with your laptop.

Again, please stop answering questions which have not been asked.

Nobody asked you where you work or what you do at your job or about your limited understanding of how companies operate.

You are polluting this thread, please let the professional people have a peaceful exchange of knowledge here.

Please take notice: Regardless of the frustration felt by members experiencing this difficulty, civility is expected, and is non-negotiable, in this community. If civility and constructive commentary proves to be impossible, members' posts may be moderated.

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Message 53 of 103

@BrokenThinkpad wrote:

@HawkeyeQ wrote:

Greetings.

I am facing the exact same problem after I updated to v.1.22 on my one week old P1.

"What we can suggest is we can examine machine at our Lenovo workshop /procedure takes up to 8 business days/ where we can provide a fee for the mother board replacement. Please advise if you wish an indicative quote or to book collection."

I really hope they come up with a fix soon because this "little" problem of theirs will impact the work-life of everyone in this thread.

In the meantime I sent them the link to this page so that they can see (duh) that this is an actual problem for many people.

Fingers crossed...

Lenovo is crazy, they want to charge us for a replacement of a motherboard which they destroyed in the first place. And the core problem is that the information of this serious issue is not spreading properly inside the company and the Lenovo official in this forum denies to answer the question who at Lenovo is aware of this issue and also denies to inform us about the progress on this issue.

It is not likely that anyone will be provided details about who, within the internal team, is working/aware of this issue, nor will anyone be provided a minute-by-minute progress report. That's not the way it works.

Alazef
Punch Card
Views: 725
Message 54 of 103

Since this issue seems cannot be resolved without disassembling the laptop, for those who have critical work and have sufficient technical background, I suggest one of the followings:

• Taking their M.2 SSD from Thinkpad laptop to another machine/laptop - of course if they have one.  (easy to do)

I wish for all affected users worldwide to get prompt attention from Lenovo! 

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules.

BrokenThinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 660
Message 55 of 103

Nobody asked for minute to minute updates. All I want to know is in which countries is the Lenovo support aware of this issue ?

markgoo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 645
Message 56 of 103

Calm down mate, not only the Lenovo staff is view and reply you, also normal user is viewing and replying just like me.

I understand you are angry with the quality of thinkpad, but you should not attack other people,

All of us come to this topic to find a solution, shareing the experience with each other.

Let's keep the environmentally much more friendly alright?
BrokenThinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 635
Message 57 of 103

@markgoo wrote:
Calm down mate, not only the Lenovo staff is view and reply you, also normal user is viewing and replying just like me.

I understand you are angry with the quality of thinkpad, but you should not attack other people,

All of us come to this topic to find a solution, shareing the experience with each other.

Let's keep the environmentally much more friendly alright?

The lenovo staff is not replying.

Since the beginning of this thread I am asking in which countries the support teams are aware of this issue.

I would be fine with both answers: "We do not know" OR "In the following countries .... Lenovo support is aware of this issue"

Nobody is attacking anyone and I hope this thread can be kept clean and focused on the matter instead of discussing absolutly unrelated content. Thank You.

Highlighted
HawkeyeQ
Punch Card
Views: 621
Message 58 of 103

@NateS wrote:

@HawkeyeQ wrote:

Greetings.

Fingers crossed...

Did you communicate with Support in accordance with @Andy_Lenovo's advice in his post above?

"To anyone else who has experienced issues with the BIOS 1.22; as previously stated I recommend you contact support in your country location to request assistance and, please by all means, refer them to my posts in this topic."

Hello Nate.

As you can see from my last sentence in my original message, I did sent to Support the link to this thread.

I had opened my ticket before this thread was created but I updated it to include this link.

I was also thinking last night of what a fix might be.

If there's some hardcoded Supervisor password or something similar in v.1.22, how can Lenovo "reset" it since they claim that a Supervisor password cannot be reset? Are they going to replace the motherboards of all the laptops with this problem? And, if they do have a way to "reset" the password (perhaps via another BIOS flash - targetted to us), how would they be able in the future to state that the Supervisor password cannot be reset and oblige people to just replace motherboards at a substantial cost?

If you can prove ownership, doesn't it make more sense for Lenovo to assist you and reset the password (e.g. by flashing the BIOS with a "special" version or by clearing EEPROM), even if this means taking the laptop to one of their facilities?

Regards,

HawkeyeQ
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur...

----------------------------
AJH162
Punch Card
Views: 564
Message 59 of 103

@hawkeye it's much more likely that they can't change the password but may be able to fix whatever caused it to be unreadable.  Since this was a security related update, I suspect that the original hash is still in place in eeprom, but is not readable by current firmware due to either changes in hashing or storage address.  If the data is overwritten, then I'd hope they'd issue new boards rather than fundamentally compromise the security of the entire platform, but if a fix can address the issue and restore proper validation to the old passwords then they'd have a good fix.

HawkeyeQ
Punch Card
Views: 429
Message 60 of 103

Hello.

Quick question: Has anyone tried to rollback BIOS to v.1.21? If yes, was there any change (for the better of course)?

Regards,

HawkeyeQ
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur...

----------------------------

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors