Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alazef
Punch Card
Views: 790
Message 41 of 103

Re: X1 EXTREME G1 - BIOS UPDATE 1.22 - SUPERVISOR PASSWORD BROKEN

After Contacting Lenovo in my country several times, my laptop has been finally replaced! I swapped my SSD to the new one and I am back up and running. 

I took the risk and UPDATED to BIOS 1.22 again!  But this time with default BIOS settings (SVP is disabled). Successful update without issues.

I hope Lenovo engineers had tested different settings before releasing such dangerous BIOS update. Looking at the update README you see that the BIOS was compiled on April 29, which means there has not been thorough testing 

I hope affected users get a fix from Lenovo. Otherwise, you will end up replacing your laptop Smiley Happy 

dribber
Fanfold Paper
Views: 754
Message 42 of 103

partly, at least you can boot your machine again. BIOS is only accessible read-only though.
I files an issue with Lenovo and they are working on a solution
markgoo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 743
Message 43 of 103

Good news finally, looking forward the solution.
JP00
Paper Tape
Views: 711
Message 44 of 103

I had a power on password that was altered during the BIOS 1.22 upgrade. I reset the password by unplugging the BIOS coin cell battery and the laptop main battery for 30 seconds. Everything is working fine after that.

BrokenThinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 645
Message 45 of 103

@JP00 wrote:

I had a power on password that was altered during the BIOS 1.22 upgrade. I reset the password by unplugging the BIOS coin cell battery and the laptop main for 30 seconds. Everything is working fine after that.

Just to confirm, did you set a supervisor password before update or just power on password only ?

JP00
Paper Tape
Views: 594
Message 46 of 103

I had just a power on password
AJH162
Punch Card
Views: 557
Message 47 of 103

Lol @ BrokenThinkpad.  I don't work for Lenovo, but I'm a senior engineer at a fairly large technology vendor.  I'm there guy that customer service is there to keep people off my back so I can actually fix problems.  Perhaps you should consider your own qualifications before proving yourself a fool.  Good luck with your laptop.

BrokenThinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 480
Message 48 of 103

@AJH162 wrote:

Lol @ BrokenThinkpad.  I don't work for Lenovo, but I'm a senior engineer at a fairly large technology vendor.  I'm there guy that customer service is there to keep people off my back so I can actually fix problems.  Perhaps you should consider your own qualifications before proving yourself a fool.  Good luck with your laptop.

Again, please stop answering questions which have not been asked.

Nobody asked you where you work or what you do at your job or about your limited understanding of how companies operate.

You are polluting this thread, please let the professional people have a peaceful exchange of knowledge here.

HawkeyeQ
Punch Card
Views: 468
Message 49 of 103

Greetings.

I am facing the exact same problem after I updated to v.1.22 on my one week old P1.

My BIOS Supervisor Password no longer works.

I contacted Lenovo Support and, as expected, I received the typical reply:

"What we can suggest is we can examine machine at our Lenovo workshop /procedure takes up to 8 business days/ where we can provide a fee for the mother board replacement. Please advise if you wish an indicative quote or to book collection."

I really hope they come up with a fix soon because this "little" problem of theirs will impact the work-life of everyone in this thread.

In the meantime I sent them the link to this page so that they can see (duh) that this is an actual problem for many people.

Fingers crossed...

HawkeyeQ
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur...

----------------------------
BrokenThinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 444
Message 50 of 103

@HawkeyeQ wrote:

Greetings.

I am facing the exact same problem after I updated to v.1.22 on my one week old P1.

My BIOS Supervisor Password no longer works.

I contacted Lenovo Support and, as expected, I received the typical reply:

"What we can suggest is we can examine machine at our Lenovo workshop /procedure takes up to 8 business days/ where we can provide a fee for the mother board replacement. Please advise if you wish an indicative quote or to book collection."

I really hope they come up with a fix soon because this "little" problem of theirs will impact the work-life of everyone in this thread.

In the meantime I sent them the link to this page so that they can see (duh) that this is an actual problem for many people.

Fingers crossed...

Lenovo is crazy, they want to charge us for a replacement of a motherboard which they destroyed in the first place. And the core problem is that the information of this serious issue is not spreading properly inside the company and the Lenovo official in this forum denies to answer the question who at Lenovo is aware of this issue and also denies to inform us about the progress on this issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors